Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Tour - root directory

Hi, I am new to BB development. I develped an app that stores an xml file in memory (file:///store/sample). This works in BOLD but doesn't work in TOUR. I couldn't figure out the directory structure for built-in memory in TOUR.

Here's my questions.

1) Where is the best place to store files (about 1MB) in BB device (SDCard or ///store or ???) ? I need to store images so the app fast loads each time & updates these images in background.

2) How to make this (storing & retrieving files) work in all BB devices?

3) I built my app in 4.6.0. Do I have to do anything to make it compatible for devices that uses other versions?

Any help would be really appreciated. I have been searching the net & debugging this for some time now.

Thanks,

Jaya

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Tour - root directory

What error are you getting? Does the directory "sample" exist on the TOUR? If it doesn't then you won't be able to make the file.

You shouldn't need to recompile under a newer version.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
New Developer

The directory doesn't exist but when I try to create it in the code, it's giving "File system error (12)". Is there a setting in the device to provide permission for the app to write to built-in memory?

Developer
My Device: Storm 9550

12 is INVALID_OPERATION sounds strange.

Can you post the code?

If your problem was solved, please mark answer as "Accepted solution"
If your want to thank, click the "kudo" symbol
New Developer

Thanks for replying to my post.  I was trying to create a directory under file:///store and that was giving me error. When I changed it to file:///store/home/user/documents, it worked.