Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Trouble installing Eclipse w/ BlackBerry plug-in

Hi.  I'm an experienced developer, but a newbie to Eclipse and Blackberry development.  I'm following along the tutorial video entitled "BlackBerry® JDE Plug-in for Eclipse Installation and Configuration" (http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=eclipseJDE.)  I've installed the all-in-one package (BlackBerry_JDE_PluginFull_1.0.0.67.exe), but when I open the workspace, there's no BlackBerry menu.  Can anyone help me troubleshoot my installation?

If it makes any difference, I'm running Windows Vista SP1 (32-bit).

Thanks,
  Andrew

Developer

Re: Trouble installing Eclipse w/ BlackBerry plug-in

Andrewcr,

Installations on vista seem to be problematic. I run on windows XP pro because I had similiar problems installing android (Blackberry works fine but has errors running simulators). Eclipse seems stable on xp.

Also, make sure your using the JDE installation and not trying to install MDS. MDS doesnt have a blackberry menu.

Mobile Enhancement Studios
New Developer

Thanks for the quick response.  I have to admit though, I was hoping there was a better answer than "change to another OS."  I'm well aware that Vista is substandard, but it's what I've got to work with right now.

Yes, I am installing JDE.  (The installer is BlackBerry_JDE_PluginFull_1.0.0.67.exe, which includes Eclipse and the JDE plug-in.)

Does anyone have this working on Vista?

Thanks,

Andrew

New Developer

I also am using XP and have no experience with Vista, but I have read that if you install Eclipse/BB JDE on a separate disk drive from your Vista install (Vista on C: drive and Eclipse/BB JDE on D: etc) it may work.

Hope this helps!

New Developer

I tried installing on another drive -- the install just hung at 45%.

But, (drum roll), I was able to get this working.  (They sure don't make it easy.)

Here's what I did, for future readers:

Delete any existing eclipse installs, as well as workspaces and the .eclipse folder in your <username> folder.  Download and unzip Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede - last year's version.  It won't work with the current version.)  I'm using 3.4 SP2, and that seems to work.  Place the unzipped directory whereever you like.  (Mine's in c:\Program Files.)

Next, copy the Blackberry JDE plugin Zip file in an Eclipse extensions folder.  Wherever you decide to put this, Eclipse will remember.  I created an "Extensions" folder in my Eclipse directory and dropped it in there.

Open a command prompt, navigate to your Eclipse directory and run Eclipse.exe with the -clean flag.  ("eclipse -clean")

Click on the "Help" menu and select "Software Updates..."  Click on the "Available Software" tab, then the "Add Site..." button.  In the dialog that comes up, click on the "Archive..." button and browse to your extensions folder and select the Blackberry plug-in .zip file and click "Open."

Click "Install..." and let it install.  When it's done, it will prompt you to restart Eclipse -- Do so.

For me, at this point it was working, and my BlackBerry menu was visible.  Your mileage may vary, but I hope it works for you too.

Thanks,

Andrew

Here are some links I found useful in putting the above together:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=ah8534h97tx2_30fx947kct
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/eclipseplug_updatesite.jsp
http://prosciutto.boutiquestartups.com/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=55&blogId=1

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: vodafone

Many thanks andrew. I have been trying to install the blackberry plug in for a couple of days now, but following your steps worked fine for me.

Thanks again

Roy

New Developer

My pleasure. Glad to see my post helped someone.  (They really ought to make it easier to get started.)

Good luck.

Thanks,

Andy

Highlighted
Developer

OK,

there is small detail(s) missed in the procedure mentioned above.

In fact, one has to install two pieces: plugin itself and component pack (4.2,...4.7).

Plugin itself now is available as zip file in combination with CP 4.5,

I could not find it as a separate download!