Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 9000

Trusted Application Prompt

What triggers the trusted application prompt when a user installs an application?  Some of our phones get it for certain applications, others don't.  Does it appear when you re-install?  Also, what permissions does "being trusted" enable?
Kurt Zettel | Chief Architect | Metova
www.metova.com
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Trusted Application Prompt

[ Edited ]

As far as know, answering "Yes" to the trusted application prompt set all your application permission to Allow except Browser Filters and Event Injection. But as I have just seen, this doesn't work...

I'm also interested in knowing when does this trusted prompt appear, because I've been able to see a Bold handheld in which it appeared but another in which it didn't. And the same with a Storm model.

Does a BES have sth to say with this issues?

Message Edited by miskatonic on 06-16-2009 11:18 AM
New Developer

I have the same question. For some phone I get the prompt and in others I dont get any. The problem is that there is a situation that I need to test in the phone that the user is able to reject the permissions and  cause a freeze in my app and I need to know how to handle this situation.

Anyways WHEN does the promtp asking for application level of trust appear and WHY?

Developer

[ Edited ]

As far as I know, the trusted application prompt is a bonus in some handheld software versions. All it does is assign a non-default set of application permissions to your applications immediately after the application is installed. The set is less restricted that the default permissions set. Since the user or the IT Policy can still influence the set, you should anyway check, every time your application starts, whether the application has sufficient permissions or not. In case the application does not have sufficient permissions, the application should prompt the user for permissions or fails with an error message (e.g., when the permission cannot be obtained due to IT Policy restrictions or due to the user refusing to grant the permissions).

Message Edited by klyubin on 07-10-2009 10:36 PM
Highlighted
Developer

In this video Mike Kirkup explains what Trusted means (amongst other things). 

How to Handle Security Prompts
http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=SecurityPrompts 

From the relevant slide, the important points seem to be:

It was introduced in 4.5, the user is prompted to give the Application trusted status.  A NO answer is the same as the prompt not being there (i.e. same as preceding OS levels), a YES will set all prompts to Allow except Browser Filters and Event injection.

This appears to be a way of making things easier for the user and has no influence on the design on an application - however you might have to acknowledge that this could happen in your documentation.