Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Two-person game

Any suggestions about how to design such a thing (like checkers, let's say)? I'd like to piggy-back off existing functionality.

Then there's the tool issue. How about email-based communication between server and BB-client with a content-handler to fire off a screen that accepts moves and send back to other side? 

As you can probably tell, this will be my first BB app.

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Two-person game

Welcome.

An email based system probably isn't the most efficient method to alert the other player of a move. If the player doesn't have email or doesn't have it on their BlackBerry then it won't work at all.

If you want it to work over the internet then you will probably need some hosting service to send and recieve updates, if you want it to be local then you could use Bluetooth.

Just ideas. Good luck.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer

In addition to email, you might consider SMS, which most people will have.

One neat option would be to use the BlackBerry Messenger, that I believe has an API that you could use.  Piggy back on that and you give your players the chance to hurl abuse at each other too.

New Developer

rcmaniac25 wrote:

Welcome.

An email based system probably isn't the most efficient method to alert the other player of a move. If the player doesn't have email or doesn't have it on their BlackBerry then it won't work at all.

rcmanic,

Thanks for the tip. Suppose the user base is restricted to BB users? That doesn't change the timing issue you mention. I assume that everyone using a BB (Bold+) has BES or BB. Am I wrong?

New Developer

peter_strange wrote:

In addition to email, you might consider SMS, which most people will have.

Thanks, peter_strange

How does BB-based email compare (regards security) with BB-based SMS?

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

I'm pretty sure that BES is only available if you are using an enterprise BlackBerry. As for BB, I don't understand because that to me means "BlackBerry" so I would hope they have a BlackBerry to play a game for a BlackBerry.

I think peter's idea is good, it would allow you to use a relatively quick form of transmitting information to and from and every BlackBerry user should have it. You could send it in plan English such as "Red Checker 8 jumps Black Checker 4" that way when the user ends the game they don't end up with a bunch of gibberish txt messages.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
New Developer

rcmaniac25 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that BES is only available if you are using an enterprise BlackBerry. As for BB, I don't understand because that to me means "BlackBerry" so I would hope they have a BlackBerry to play a game for a BlackBerry.

Right. Sorry. I meant BIS (rather than BB). So my assumtion is that a BB user has access to email via their BB email address: e.g., user@att.blackberry.net. Does this seem reasonable?

I think peter's idea is good, it would allow you to use a relatively quick form of transmitting information to and from and every BlackBerry user should have it.

OK. Quicker. How much quicker? My guess is that a short email isn't "much" slower than an SMS message. Suppose the user has to wait 5 seconds instead of 2.5. Faster is better but is 2.5s twice as good for the user?

You could send it in plan English such as "Red Checker 8 jumps Black Checker 4" that way when the user ends the game they don't end up with a bunch of gibberish txt messages.

Developer

I think it is reasonable to assume a Blackberry user has email.  However I do know people who have Blackberries that are on an ordinary phone tariff - so they have SMS and no email.  So SMS will be a slightly larger set of potential players, but only slightly.

I agree that SMS will be quicker, and I think it is less work, but there is not much in it for either.  The biggest issue is the cost to the user, I suspect email will come into their data charges while SMS will come into their text quota. 

Developer

[ Edited ]

If you take a look at the JDE samples, thre is a two-player version of TicTacToe that utilizes BB Messenger as the transport.

If nothing else, this should give you a starting point.

Highlighted
New Developer

RexDoug,

To quote Monty Burns, "Eggscellent!".