Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

UI on different BB's and resolutions

Hello - I am new to the forum, and have been tasked by my company to produce a UID for a RIM app.

I've been digging around this forum for an answer, but have only found many answers to *how* it's made, but not so many on how it behaves across different resolutions and devices.

For example, if I am building a UI that fits a Storm at 360x480 - but can also scale to landscape mode, how does this get handled on other devices like the 83xx Curve with it's  320x240 screen? Vertically it just scrolls, sure, but can the app be built to scale proportionately? if so, maybe just width-wise? or would the app have within it, device specific code to render a specific way based on detection?

I am just trying to wrap my brain around how to document our solution, and whether or not we are looking at building more than one UID - or more than one app. I'm sorry - my designer brain has a tough time with this, so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Developer
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Telstra AU

Re: UI on different BB's and resolutions

Hi have look at this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&thread.id=64589 

-----------

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/paul.haenel

If your issue is resolved, please mark this thread as solved.

Set the "Solution" mark on the post which contains the answer to your question.
Developer

"would the app have within it, device specific code to render a specific way based on detection"

Short answer, yes.

For example, if you want to have a picture that fills 1/2 the screen, then you are either going to have to:

1) Choose one of the pictures from a set you have in your application, based on the screen size you determine from the device.  This increases the size of your application.

2) Scale the picture based on the screen size you find, which you will probably do each time your application is started, which can lead to fuzzy pictures and delay in display as the scaling takes place

3) Have multiple builds and choose the correct one depending on the screen size you have, means more builds and more choices for your customers.

Hope someone can suggest a 4th and perfect option!

It gets more confusing if you look at other aspects too.  Consider fonts.  Are you going to specify the font size in your app, or let the user choose, or in fact just use the default font (so that you use the font that the User has specified and is used by the RIM applications).  Personally I think the last option, but if you do that, then your text may be a completely different size to what you expect it to be.

Hope this helps

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

font.getAdvance and Drawstyle.ELLIPSIS allow a flexible layout for different fontsizes, the first to adjust field sizes, the second to limit the text drawn.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Highlighted
New Developer

[ Edited ]

peter_strange - this was what I was afraid of, but also expected.

The font issue is something that I'll have to deal with especially when Brand wants to push their own TTF in to the mix - I am more than happy keeping the solution feeling like it's BB native. 

Thanks for the help and info!

As an aside - I have been very impressed by the professionalism and support of the BB community and the BB employees I've met at conferences. My future phone will be a BlackBerry Smiley Happy 

Message Edited by v0yeur on 10-07-2009 08:22 AM