Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Unable to debug with a 9000 device

Hi, I've develop a little app that I've debug in the simulator and now I  wan't to test it in a real device.

I've connected my BB Bold 9000 to the Pc through the USB cable and selected "attach" in the JDE.

In that moment I get a lot of messages like "cannot find  NET_RIM_APPMANAGER.DEBUG"

If I browse to the simulator directory and select that file, then, I0ve got the message "Bad debug information C:\program files... \net_rim_appmanager.debug(4873cc83) - net_rim_appmanager(48c06f7e)".

I think that the problem is a version mismatch, I've downloaded the latest simulator ("version 4.6.0.92 (9000 Telefonica)" ) but if I look in my device in options->about it reads: "Blackberry 9000 (3G, Wi-Fi) V4.6.0.147 (plataforma 4.0.0.144) "

So, how can I get the debug files for version V4.6.0.147 or, how can I downgrade my device to V4.6.0.92??

Thx in advance for your help

Regards

Alejandro

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Unable to debug with a 9000 device

Check this link: Blackberry OS FAQ

There are instructions how to upgrade/downgrade your Blackberry OS, and there are links to download necessary software.

To debug apps on real device I recommend to use class

net.rim.device.api.system.EventLogger

It writes info into device log.

To open device log press "Alt" button. hold it and press key sequence: LGLG

Developer

I would not immediately recommend downgrading your phone in this circumstance.  Hopefully the missing debug files are only for Rim supplied cods and you won't be debugging these - so as long as you can use the debugger for your applications and the basic Rim API classes that you use (String, Vector etc), you can ignore the missing debug files. 

So suppress those messages (check the don't show me again) and see if you can debug your application successfully before doing anything drastic.

You might also find the following thread informative:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=1841&query.id=219...

I suspect, but don't quote me, that the last digit in the version number is actually carrier specific, so the 4.6.0.xx will be tailored for one carrier and 4.6.0.yy will be tailored for another, but the base files will be the same.

New Developer

Thx peter and tbili

I've set a breakpoint in the first sentence of my main() routine, but it never stops...

I'm hoing to try with the EventLogger to see if I can sort it out printing debug information and, if not, I'll try with some other device (I have an 8800 and a curve, so I'll try  to get some device that has the same version as the simulators).

Thx again,  I'll keep on posting  any progress I made

Developer

Regardless of the state of the RIM debug files, your debug files should match, so you should be able to break in your program.  If you can't, then that suggests that you have not got a matching version in the JDE to the one on the device.  It has to exactly match.  So I suggest you delete the version off the device, compile and sign your app, install that on the device and try again.
New Developer

Well, using the eventlogger I0ve found out why the debugger doesn't stop at my first line of code, the  program is NOTexecute  in the device, I get module myapp missing RRT signature.

I don't understand why, because I've signed the app and in the signature tool, it says that is signed, but it states that signer ID is RBB (instead of RTT).

I'm going to look in the forums to see if ther is something about this.

Thx again!!

Highlighted
New Developer

Well, everything is solved now.

I've found this post explaning that, sometimes, the JDE mistakes the need of signatures for a particular code (in may case, JDE said it needed RBB, but also needed RRT. So, editing de .csl file and adding 52525400=RIM Runtime API it compiles and executes properly.

So now that the code is been executed, I can debug it, even with the .debug files missing.

Thx for your help, and I hope this can help someone else...