Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: 8830
My Carrier: Indosat

Unable to download java Jar.

Hi all, I was developing application in JAVA. It's 200+KB and my friend can't download it OTA when using his BB. Is it because BB only support COD or something else? Because, I don't familiar with BB. Thank you.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Unable to download java Jar.

What error message is your Friend seeing.  Do you see it when downloading to a non BlackBerry device.  Which Browser is your Friend using (he should be using the BlackBerry Browser or the BlackBerry Internet Browser because the jar will need to transcoded to a cod and I don't think the WAP or WiFi browser's gateway will do this.  Actually to be 100% honest I've not seen that the Blackberry Internet Browser will do it, but I suspect it should. 

New Contributor
My Device: 8830
My Carrier: Indosat

I'm not really sure what error did he got. However, my app is running well on other devices. I'll ask the detail tomorrow. while at it, is converting jar to cod a MUST? Is it really helped to guarantee any jar to able to be downloaded OTA?
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

The conversion from jar to code is, for BES clients, handled automatically by the MDS processing on the BES.  I believe for BIS users, the same is true for the BIS Browser.  But this conversion (transcoding) will only be done by RIM code, so you must use a RIM gateway to get it.  WAP and WiFi do not use RIM gateway, BlackBerry Browser and BlackBerry Internet Browser do. 

Alternatively, you can convert it to a cod file (actually a number of cod files) and then any browser should be able to handle it. 

Search the forum for instructions on converting a jar to a cod.