Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Unable to stream videos on the BlackBerry Storm

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am running the latest OS of the BlackBerry Storm and I am unable to stream videos through the web browser. I have been pointing the web browser to several different video files on my web server (files that are supported by Storm as per http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05482&sliceId=SAL_Pub...)

The video will begin playing for about a second or two and then I get the following error message: "The current media can not be played from the network. Save it first for local playback". 

I can confirm that the video files that I am trying to play are properly encoded as per the above requirements. I can save the video file to my SD Card and it will play fine from there. The issue is when I stream the file in my web browser. This seems to only happen on my Storm 9530. I have no problems on the BlackBerry Bold.

Is this a known issue with the Storm? Has anyone else experienced this issue? It appears to stream youtube videos just fine....the issue is with video files on my webserver.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I run into the same issue when streaming supported audio files. 

Message Edited by meaves on 02-18-2009 08:49 AM
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Unable to stream videos on the BlackBerry Storm

[ Edited ]
What type of media files are you testing with?  Can you provide a URL to some of these sample media files?  Have the appropriate MIME types been configured on your server?
Message Edited by MSohm on 02-23-2009 11:02 AM
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Developer

Hi Mark,

I have been testing with .AVI files that were encoded with H.264. Although I've had the same issue with .wmv files as well.

Here is link to a file that I am having this issue with on my 9530 (but works fine on my Bold).

www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~meaves/exercise.avi

Thanks,

Mark 

Highlighted
Retired

meaves,

It's important to note that the Bold supports HTTP progressive download whereas the Storm does not.  Note that videos served up by m.youtube.com would be leveraging RTSP, which is supported on both devices. 

Brian Zubert
Technical Partnership Manager
Research In Motion
New Developer

Thanks for the clarification. How would I be able to leverage RTSP in my application to stream these files?
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

On the device side you can just access the video using an rtsp:// URL instead of an http:// one.  However, the server side hosting the video would need to support the RTSP protocol.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Developer
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Does anybody know if the Storm2 is able to handle HTTP progressive downloads?

Is the ability only not realized within Storm or will it be the same for other new devices?

Thanks
EnochRoot

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Would you know why I cannot stream video from YouTube on the Blackberry Bold 9700? It does not work at all on WiFi, giving the error "An error has occurred attempting to play media". This is with the Blackberry Browser, and I have tried every setting in the Browser with no success. On 3G, the video barely plays, is very jerky, stops, and sometimes just plays the audio with a black screen (no video at all). I have done the YouTube optimization, which made no difference. I have tried Bolt, which just sends me to the default browser anytime I try and play a YouTube video with it. I also tried the YouTube App, with the same results.

The YouTube Apps troubleshooting guides says that if you cannot play video at YouTube, the problem is almost certainly with your data plan. I have an unlimited Blackberry data plan, and don't think the carrier would be limiting data over WiFi.

There is nothing wrong with my WiFi, as I have multiple computers, 3 Iphones, AT&T Tilt, which all work with YouTube just fine on WiFi, as well as 3G in the same location and on the same AT&T account. So the problem is with the Bold 9700.

I am running OS 5.0.0.602, and tried downgrading to OS 5.0.0.402 with no change.

Any suggestions would be greatly appprciated.

Thanks

The_Omegaman
New Contributor

Hi,
I had a few more questions in mind regarding development of streaming 
applications for BlackBerry:
1. Do all available handsets support streaming?
2. Though rtsp means real time streaming, using with the 3gp container, would it not download the 
video on the handset?
3. What do I do to protect a proprietary video from being downloaded?
4. Is there any video size limitation? I have referred a few forums that state so.
5. As per the transcode and format instructions on the BlackBerry website, the streaming could 
either be in rtsp with aac or http with mp3 format.
Regards,
Supriya