Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: Singtel

Unexpected error:java.lang.RuntimeException:PushModalScreen called by a non-event thread

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2nd hand Blackberry Bold 9000 and everything is working fine except when I wanna register my WHATSAPP, it keeps show this error.

" Unexpected error:java.lang.RuntimeException: PushModalScreen called by a non-event thread "

I am from Singapore, I use the local data plan instead of the BB plan. I am a previous user of BB 8820, and whatsapp works fine on it.

I am super frustrated with this error, i have searched the internet but could not find any solution.

I have restarted , reinstall , did every single thing i could possibility think of, but it still wont work.

can anyone please help me ?  THANKS   Smiley Wink

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Unexpected error:java.lang.RuntimeException:PushModalScreen called by a non-event thread

[ Edited ]

Hello.

If this error message is only happening while you are running the WhatsApp messenger application, then, in all likelihood, it is being caused by that application.

The error message is an indication from the system, that the WhatsApp app is trying to display a popup screen to show you some information, but it's doing it in an inappropriate way -- poor programming, in a nutshell.

You would need to contact the makers of the WhatsApp app directly for support. Their support email address is support@whatsapp.com

At Antair, we make great apps for your BlackBerry phone and your PlayBook tablet.
New Contributor

Re: Unexpected error:java.lang.RuntimeException:PushModalScreen called by a non-event thread

I have emailed them a week ago, but they have not replied yet. Do u know of any solution? i read about editing the user interface or main screen, but i dunno how to go about it.
Contributor

No. This isn't something that's "fixable" by you. The application code that runs their program is trying to display a popup in a way that the device doesn't like. I'm afraid that this is something they would need to fix within their own application, and then release an update or a patch.

At Antair, we make great apps for your BlackBerry phone and your PlayBook tablet.
New Contributor

okay. it has nothing to do with the blackberry plan right?
Because i went to repair shops and enquiry, most of them told me the newer series of BB , needs BB plan then can use whatsapp.
But i dont think that's the case. bcoz i have a friend that uses 9300 without a BB plan
Contributor

It has nothing to do with the plan per-se.

But, if the WhatApp app needs to connect to the internet to work, and during its attempt to connect it sees that it cannot, and then it tried to tell you that it cannot connect by popping up a dialog box, and it does it in a way that the device doesn't like, then you'll see the error you are seeing. It's still bad programming on their part -- inside the application itself -- but it may be trying to show you an error message to tell you that it cannot connect and needs to (so indirectly, *that* could be because of your plan).

New Contributor

oohh. so it could be because of the plan
but if i sign the bb plan already, and it still doesnt work, den i would be wasting money.
Contributor

If your device supports WiFi, you can try to connect to the internet through WiFi at home, and see if you can then set up your WhatApp application. It doesn't change the cause of the error though. This is something that the WhatsApp developers would need to fix.