Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Update / Upgrade Java application through BES and Desktop Manager

Hi,

I've developed an app and I've distributed through BES (wireless) and Desktop Manager. When I've made some changes, what Im doing is deleting the app and reinstalling. There is any way to upgrade/update without deleting the app in both cases (BES and DM)?

Thanks in advance.

Developer

Re: Update / Upgrade Java application through BES and Desktop Manager

Yes, and it is relatively easily, provided that you do not change any of the persisted classes.

In your alx, there is a version XML tag (<version >) and if you increase the version, the Desktop manager will automatically pick up the upgraded version and offer to update the application.  Sorry, can't remember exactly how you do this when installing wirelessly (not my area) but I believe that if you just update the Software profile and Push, it will overwrite automatically.

But the key requirement is that with each version, you do not change any persisted classes.

Hope this helps.

New Developer

Hi,

I am facing the same issue. I had pushed one application with version 5.1. I tried updating the application with version 5.2.

When I pushed the newer version the phone got rebooted and the older version got uninstalled but new verion is not there on the phone.

Any idea or suggetions?

-akash 

Developer

Thanks for your answer. My mistake was change the alx on the notepad, and if you want it works, you have to do the version change at Eclipse, at project properties.

akash1212, right now its upgrading. Ill tell you if this works or not.

New Developer

Thanks. I am awaiting your reply. :-)