Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry pearl
My Carrier: system ingenier
Accepted Solution

Use just JavaME or BlackBerry JDE

Hi everyone, i have this simple doubt, im starting with blackberry programming, i already checked the blackberry docs and examples, got the eclipse plugin and i like the API and everything,
but i wonder how many you can do just with javeME, maybe that way it would be portable to other devices.

So my cuestion is how many can be done for blackberry just with javaME?,
can you acces to network? bluetoth, mail, etc... and portable to other devices.

thanks, Eduardo.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Use just JavaME or BlackBerry JDE

[ Edited ]

Bluetooth, network connections, audio, etc. are mostly JavaME/J2ME portable.

There are many classes that are specific to the BlackBerry that you simply cannot do with just J2ME/JavaME without recreating the code yourself or finding libraries to do so.

If you are going to develop for more platforms, I'd say you should find as many J2ME classes you can use and if and only if you need a BlackBerry-specific class, then you should use it.

This should bring you the most portability.

** Note: In some cases, you cannot mix and match the two a little elbow grease. **

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry pearl
My Carrier: system ingenier

Re: Use just JavaME or BlackBerry JDE

Hi , thanks a lot for the fast reply, you have cleared my doubt Smiley Very Happy