Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000

Using Bluetooth with Simulator

I found a few references for how to run bluetooth applications within a simulator environment, but I was hopeing for a bit more info. For example I'm not sure which Casira tools I need to buy and if I need to do anything special to get them working. Does anyone have a reference to a white paper or video? 

I think the Casira tool is this:

http://www.btdesigner.com/devcasira.htm

but at $3K I'd like to be sure this is what I need and not overkill. $3K is a lot of bucks. 

I'm using the Eclipse JDE plugin with a Bold-9000 simulator. I have successfully built and deployed the sample bluetooth apps to my phone. I'm looking to build more sophisticated apps. I think I'll need to have a simulator running for debugging and in general not blowing up my actual b-berry phone. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

beren erchamion
New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Using Bluetooth with Simulator

I agree that there is not enough documentation on this topic.

We did get the Casira kit working (and yes it is the rather expensive product you linked to).

You basically hook that device up to your PC and configure it on a COM port.

Once you do that you run the blackberry simulator by simply specifying the COM port on which Casira is connected.

For example if Casira is configured on COM 2, the simulator command line would be:

fledge /handheld=9500 /bluetooth-port=2 /app=jvm.dll

Unfortunatly I don't know of any other cheaper bluetooth hardware you could use.

Developer

Thanks very much for the answer! If I find out any other solution I'll post it. 

beren erchamion
Developer

Just a thought, you can do a reasonable amount of Bluetooth debugging/testing using a tethered device, in other words, debugging your application directly on a BlackBerry device. 
New Developer

Do we really need to buy the $3000 Casira one? Or would the $700 End Point be enough?

Because $3000 is alot of money...

Developer

yes - true...but you can also do quite a bit of damage :-)

Testing on my own phone makes me a bit nervous.

beren erchamion
Developer

Don't use yours - borrow a friend's ;-)

You are right, I have assortment of traded up BB's to test with, I'm not sure I would want to test on my own.  But you are going to have to test on real device at some time, and a real Blackberry is a lot less than $3K isn't it.

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8320
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi

I have got the Casira Kit and connected it to the COM1. I have specified this setting in the BB JDE simulator settings. I cannot communicate with the Casira kit. I can see in the logs that Blackberry Simulator is sending the HCI Reset Command but not getting a response. 

In the  PSR key I have configured the Casira as HCI Device (PSKEY_ONCHIP_HCI_CLIENT = 0x00) and the baud rate to 38.4k (PSKEY_UART_BAUDRATE). Could you please tell me what else can I check to make it work?

Thanks

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8320
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hello mpv

I have a CASIRA kit configured as HCI UART device and I can run IVT Bluesoliel stack  using this kit. But when I run the blackberry simulator it is unable to communicate with the Casira Kit. Could you please tell me what serial port settings to use on the Casira kit to make it working with Blackberry simulator.

I need this answer quite urgently. If you could help me out that would be great. Thanks a lot

Sumeet

Highlighted
Developer
My Carrier: AT&T

Please start a new thread rather than reviving an old thread.