Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Using NetBeans for BB dev (or Eclipse instead?)

I'm developing a J2ME app that will need to work on both Blackberry and Nokia phones.  The BB build of this app will use some BB specific API's.

I'd like to use Netbeans 6.5 (the latest) for this.  Usually I point the Netbeans java platform manager at an SDK and it finds the platform, but this doesn't work with the BB SDK.

The BB SDK that I installed is "BlackBerry JDE 4.6.0" (though I'm targetting BB OS >= 4.2.1).

Can apps that use BB specific API's be developed with Netbeans?

I see a reference to an Eclipse plug-in for the BB JDE 4.7.  If you feel that it is much better to use Eclipse then I could switch, but using the BB IDE isn't an option since I need to be able to build versions of the midlet for other platforms. 

Has RIM decided to support Eclipse and not Netbeans in the future?  Is the RIM plug-in for Eclipse based on EclipseME/MTJ or is a seperate Eclipse plug-in?

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Using NetBeans for BB dev (or Eclipse instead?)

It is possible to develop BB apps on Netbeans.

Check the link below:

http://www.netbeans.org/kb/55/blackberry.html

Developer

If you want your application run on Device OS 4.2.1 you have to use JDE 4.2.1

JDE version has to be equal or less than Device OS version.

Application compiled on JDE 4.2.1 will work on device OS 4.2.1, 4.3 and newer

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the link.  It gives instructions for v5.5 of Netbeans, but that might still work so I will give it a try.

I downloaded the latest version of the BB JDE since I figured that would be the best version, and would have the best chance of working with Netbeans 6.5.  I figured that once I got my app working I would also try it with JDE 4.2.1 to make sure it worked with older phones too.

Developer

[ Edited ]

the most recent JDE is not the best. It is incorrect comparison Smiley Happy

Very large amount of blackberries are working on device os 4.3 and newer.

So, to run your application on device OS v 4.3 you have to compile your application with JDE 4.3 or older.

Couple words regarding JDE version number.

JDE version number corresponds with RIM API version number and corresponds with device OS version number.

Device OS version can be checked on a device via Options - About

If an application is compiled on JDE 4.2.0 it will run on device OS versions 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.3.0 and newer.

If you compile your application on JDE 4.7 it will work only on devices with device os 4.7 and newer. I.e only on Blackberry Storm devices.

Message Edited by tbilisoft on 11-01-2009 08:20 PM