Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: various
My Carrier: various

Vertical scrolled manager within NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL MainScreen

Hello, all,

I'm trying to achieve the following: a screen with a custom layout (read from an XML file) with the possibility to scroll up and down.  Due to the existing application structure I cannot use the Blackberry focusing mechanism and instead have to rely on VerticalFieldManager.setVerticalScroll() for scrolling and VerticalFieldManager.getFieldAtLocation() for my own "focusing".

However, I'm getting stuck with something much simpler: when I created a custom MainScreen (a few private members, a few private initialization methods and overridden keyChar() and navigationMovement()) with the first line in constructor reading super(NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL) and then added a custom VerticalFieldManager with super(VERTICAL_SCROLL) as the first line in the constructor, that custom VerticalFieldManager did not get the full height (0x3FFFFFFF) in its sublayout() routine, but rather 266 (with BB9000 simulator having 280 height - I suppose 14 is the height of the title in the MainScreen).  This is, naturally, insufficient for my needs.

What's interesting is that when I use super(VERTICAL_SCROLL) in my custom MainScreen, the underlying VerticalFieldManager (with VERTICAL_SCROLL as well)  does get the full height in its sublayout() method (not 0x3FFFFFF1, but the full 0x3FFFFFFF).  However, I'm afraid it will not be scrolled correctly by VerticalFieldManager.setVerticalScroll().  I guess I might get what I need using setVerticalScroll of the MainScreen rather than the underlying VerticalFieldManager, even though that would complicate the code.

How can I achieve what I need?  I need the code to work under 4.2 (we have a lot of customers who are still using it).

Thanks in advance,

Arkady.

----------------------------------------------------------
please click 'Accept Solution' on posts that provide the solution to the question you've posted. Don't say "Thanks", press 'Like' button instead!