Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 9000(Bold)

VerticalFieldManager

Hello, I'm trying to understand how i can use the VerticalFieldManager class in my GUI in order to build a screen which is seperated to several sections, for example: section #1 will include free text edit field section #2 will include several buttons in one line section #3 will includ several images in one line I've managed to add all the images\buttons into one line but when the text field grows (i press enter button for example) the two other sections are also re-positioned on the screen. The final result i would like to get is that i can add text to the edit field but it won't cause the 2 other sections to be re-positioned, is that possible?
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: VerticalFieldManager

Your exact requirement is right here :

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/796557/800332/800505/... 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click the Kudos! badge on left side of the message , if you are happy with a solution given by a user. When you do so, you are saying thanks to its author.
Mark a reply as a solution , if you think your question has been answered.
To mark a message as a solution: Click "Accept as solution" icon on the reply.
Developer
My Device: 9000(Bold)

Hi,

The link you added to your reply isn't the solution i'm looking for, the best example i can think of would be the virtual keyboard in BB Storm which is always on the screen and the only controls above it are scrolled up\down.

Developer

If u check the code in the link that i added , you will see something called a fixedwidthfield. This field lets u add text to a certain extent. What u could probably do is add controls to that class like the textfield and u ll be able to have fields that dont meddle with the layout.. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click the Kudos! badge on left side of the message , if you are happy with a solution given by a user. When you do so, you are saying thanks to its author.
Mark a reply as a solution , if you think your question has been answered.
To mark a message as a solution: Click "Accept as solution" icon on the reply.
Highlighted
Developer

Subclass VerticalFieldManager and override sublayout to position the fields where you want them. Or, depending on your layout, you can put the text field in its own VerticalFieldManager subclass that sets its preferred height (and vertical extent) to the display height minus the preferred height of the other rows. That way it will scroll instead of pushing the other fields around.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.