Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8300
My Carrier: At&T

Virtual ROM

Hi. I was just wondering if it is possible to somehow create a virtual ROM inside blackberry, maybe with some kind of software. I don't mean memory, I mean like the place that the model is stored, that kind of thing.

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Virtual ROM

Can you explain why you desire this? Maybe we can come up with "the next best thing."
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
New Contributor

Yeah, I can. And it is the next best thing, technically. So basically I have an old blackberry curve 8300 that I just play with, like in my free time and all that. What I'm trying to do is enable wi-fi access, which as you probably know on the 83xx series the closest wi-fi enabled one was the 8320. So I was playing with it so I didn't have to eat up minutes on my phone, and help people save money to by buying the old phones and equiping them with wi-fi, which is much cheaper than adding internet to there current phone's data plan. That is, in about a month or so from then, it would be cheaper. Also, it is MUCH faster than 3G. I don't know about 4G, but I'm pretty sure all those phones, at least the smartphones, have wi-fi. anyway, I'm trying to equip the 8300 with wi-fi. Everyone on the internet says it's impossible, but I beleive it's not, and I can prove that too: They all say that there isn't the required hardware, but in the engineering screen there is a hardware component called WIFI. and it has zero battery usage, which makes sense because it is basically ignored by the software. Also, the model, as far as i'm aware, is stored as a value somewhere in ROM inside the blackberry. My final idea would be that if you could change that value, maybe by creating a virtual ROM of that particular chip and making it contain the 8320's model information, and making bootROM think that that is the true model, then putting the 8320's OS on the device, you could have Wi-Fi functionality, since the hardware exists. That's basically my idea.

New Contributor

since you code so much, maybe you can help me with this too. Do you use eclipse? I'm having this problem where in the run configurations in simulator no devices come up. Not even the default. And under the advanced tab, there is no default directorys. Reinstalling doesn't help.

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with the "internet" and say I don't think it is possible.

The BlackBerry OS is generalized for different devices, then gets specific CODs for the specific device. But just because it has an OS that support WiFi doesn't mean the phone supports WiFi.

For example, my friend has a Bold 9000. It has the camera app on it, so he goes to take a picture. Nothing happens. He comes to me and asks me to take a look at it, it says that it supports the camera, has the app, etc. Turns out that MetroPCS removed the camera from it. So the OS said "I have a camera" but the hardware was missing from it and nothing would happen when the software was run.

As for your other issue, with Eclipse, I would suggest making a dedicated post for it and giving more details.

Sorry.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
New Contributor

OK.