Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: AT&T

Way to Find BES/BIS connected device.

Hi,

I have to find if the device is BES connected or BIS connected.

Is there any way to find this other then using service book records.

Because if internet permission is set to DENY we can not get service book records as it throws ControlledAccessException.

Thanks for help

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Way to Find BES/BIS connected device.

Keep in mind that a handheld can be connected both to BIS and BES at the same time.

New Developer

But  for BES connected devices i need to check the server network permission.

Some devices  (I think BES connected) don't assign this permission to applications , so depending on this i'm planning to invoke the permission dialog.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Developer

You should be able to read the value and the maximum value of this permission using the Application Control API (ApplicationPermissionsManager). If the maximum value is DENY, you know that the IT Policy is preventing your application from accessing the MDS.

Developer
My Device: Curve - 8320
My Carrier: AirTel

The way I use to figure out if a device is BES enabled or not, is as follows:

1. Service Book (Of course):
a. There should be a few service records with name as "Desktop" or "Blackberry". These are the records created when the device is provisioned with a BES.
b. Out of these records, Traverse through and check their CID. You would observe that a few services are configured on your device, e.g. ALP, MDS, CICAL etc.

2. Alternatively, you may check for Connectivity, e.g. If Coverage is sufficient for CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_CARRIER, but not for CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_MDS, then there are chances that the Device is not provisioned.

3. Check for default email service connection, e.g. Session.getDefaultInstance().getStore().isConnected()

As far as permissions are concerned, well as said by klyubin, you can use ApplicationPermissionManager to read the value of a permission.

*(Vipul)() ;
New Developer

I tried using ApplicationPermissionManager  for invoking the required permissions.

So when only "ServerNetwork" permission is set to "DENY" in Default Permission a blank permission page is seen while installing our application.

This behaviour is seen only if the "ServerNetwork" permission is not listed in the Applications Permissions list.

Please help.

New Developer

If possible try to ask custmer care of your SIM . technical people bleckberry (customer care ) will help you.