Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Webservice for JDE development

Hello,

I am new to BlackBerry Java development.  I am trying to develoop small application using webservice.  I have a mysql databse of number of items and I would like grabe the based on user choice and list it on the application.  I am trying to find some samples for webservice on java development for BlackBerry but I can't really find any even a tutorial document.  I did find video tutorial for MDS studio development on .net.  Can any one help me find the right direction for Java development.

Thank you

Highlighted
Developer

Re: Webservice for JDE development

Search for kXML or kSoap (I prefer kXML and write the rest my self as kSoap is rather large). That should get you along the right lines but I'm sure others could suggest more.
Developer

Hi,

I tried KSoap2 for accessing a .net webservice and it worked fine for me.

Download KSoap2 pre-verified jar files and it there is a sample code availble for the same.

Hope it will help you.

regards,

Developer

Personally I'd avoid kSOAP as it's not based on a standard.  I've generated the J2ME stubs for our web service using the Sun Wireless Toolkit.  The only thing I've found that it does not handle is byte[] data.  If your WS interface includes a byte[] type variable you'll need to change it to "String" and then on the client side encode the byte[] in to a base64 encoded string.  Then on the server side decode the String back into a byte[].