Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9800 or Storm 3 whichever hits Verizon first.
My Carrier: Verizon

What are you Windows 7 64bit users developing with?

[ Edited ]

BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse

Technical requirements

Eclipse 3.5
32-bit Windows® XP, Windows Vista™ or Windows 7 (Note: 64-bit versions aren’t currently supported)
Is anyone out there using IntelliJ?

What version of Eclipse are you using? http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers (92 MB) or

Eclipse Classic 3.5.2 (163 MB) or

Pulsar for Mobile Java Developers (113 MB)?

Windows 64bit is only listed next to the Classic version?

Am i wasting my time here since i have Windows 7 64bit? What the heck can I do?

Thank you all for your support
black_berry
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: What are you Windows 7 64bit users developing with?

I'm  using Eclipse Classic 3.5.2.

You should be able to get the Java Plugin 1.1 installed on Eclipse 3.5. Your biggest issue will be the simulator (can't click close to close it, you have to end it by disconnecting it from the Debug perspective).

Check out the walkthrough in my signature to get an idea of what might be involved. It shouldn't be as bad now though but if you get stuck, try it as a reference.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

I have a quad core machine running Windows 7 64-bit version with 6 GB of memory.  It took me a while to get this because I know all of my development tools wouldn't work on this until someone told me about VirtualBox.  This allows you to run almost any OS in a Virtual Machine. 

So I have a Virtual Windows XP Pro PC inside of Windows 7 64 Bit.  I allocate 3GB of memory to it and it is superfast.  You can make it full screen so you don't even know you are in a virtual environment. 

I haven't come across any limitations using this and I've been developing for awhile.  I recommend this to anyone.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Have pretty much same machine and unless you have SSD, I must tell you that compared to the native OS, it is much slower. And I don't get it - what's the problem? You can close the simulator through Task Manager. Other than that I didn't find anything that doesn't work...

Here's my experience:

http://www.inteism.com/2010/01/problems-running-blackberry-simulator-fledge-on-windows-7-64-bit/

Anyhow, 2 days Eclipse plugin 1.1 was released

http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=3746

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2010/04/enhanced-web-and-java-development-tools-highlights/

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/java11

the page still says that 64 bit systems are not supported, although when I last talked to Mike Kirkup, he told me that it should add support to 64 bit.

I did not have the chance to try it yet, so I personally can't tell.

Developer
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

I agree with Comitic. I'm working with Eclipse on Win 7 64-bit and the only thing that does not work - at least till now - is the simulator shutdown.

EnochRoot

New Developer

[ Edited ]

Ok, so I gave in and downloaded and installed Eclipse. Downloaded just about every JAVA thing out there, Set up my environment path and installed the executable RIM plugin BlackBerry_JDE_PluginFull_1.1.2.201003212304-12.

Found my old BB pronject from Feb 2009 loaded it up and did minor tweeks to get it to compile. I can run it on the simulator (9550). I can run the debugger in the simulator.

But holy f--- it is slow as molasses on a cold winters day.

What gives? There is no way in Hell I can get anything done if im having to sit here for several minutes for it to load and for it to respond to a click. Options?????????????????????????????? What are my options ???????????? ha ha ha. This is just so ridiculous.

black_berry
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

What are you running all of this on?

It really shouldn't be more than a min to load the sim. The first time takes longest though.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

just did a test after fresh start of eclipse

it took 8 seconds that the simulator appears and 19 seconds to run the hello world sample on simulator

did nothing special:

OSX 10.6.3

Parallels -> Windows 7-64, 2 GB RAM, Video memory reduced to 64 MB

if I don't reduce Video RAM, there are refreshing problems

Hello World open in simulator

changed title

run on simulator - 2 seconds and the new title appears

great work RIM Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Contributor
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: XL

[ Edited ]

Currently Im using Windows 7 64 Bit, but I installed java 1.5 SDK non-64 bit version. I am able to use bb-ant-tools, simulators, and compile the HelloWorld sample project without problem.

I tried Eclipse, didn't like it. So i looked for ways so I can code with Intellij IDEA as i have been using it for years. I found that bb-ant-tools helps alot in developing in Intellij. You need apache ant installed, tho.

OPrayogo
New Developer

I read somewhere that we should be using pre Release 3.5 is this true? I am running Release 3.5.2
with plugin and so far it seems ok in Eclipse, its just that the simulator is unacceptably SLOW.

black_berry