Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Vodaphone

What does APN mean and Why do we need it?

Hello,

One of transportation method of BB is Direct TCP.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

After reading stiky thread of Peter Strange (thank you a lot for your help ful thread), I still feel very vague about Direct TCP.

From my understanding, in Direct TCP, all network traffic will go through (or "tunnel") carrier network and then it is sent to the destination server under TCP pragradigm.

So why do we need APN ?

APN is carrier specific. That's mean carrier can choose it by themselve (or at least they have a default APN). Why does RIM ask us to provide the information which we don't have and make everything extremely complicated like this? Or I'm misunderstanding some thing?

If possible, please give me some idea how APN is used within the protocol.

Thanks alot

Hai

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: What does APN mean and Why do we need it?

apn means access point name. RIM does not know the APN of your provider, and your provider does not push it to the blackberry. this means your device has no information about the APN, you (as an user) have to enter it.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Vodaphone

[ Edited ]

RIM doesn't know APN. I agree !

However, the carrier (the network service provier) knows its own APN.

I just wonder why : carrier does not attached their own APN into the connection string (or at least RIM design the API so that carrier has to do that).

Another way (a worse way): the mobile phone is configure with APN (configured when user purchase the phone and subcribe to a carrier) and the API automatically fetched it and use it.

I'm quite sure that many end-user do not know what APN mean.

I am not clear why the programmer has to find it by ourselve.

Besides, I know APN means Access Point Name, but how it really works, what the mechanism is completely UNCLEAR for me? Any ideas about this?

(http://www.localytics.com/blog/post/how-to-reliably-establish-a-network-connection-on-any-blackberry... sample code is very good. I can apply it blindly.

But I think it's better to understand the mechanisms of network transport)

Thank you very much

Hai

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

the phone needs to know the APN to establish a data connection and retrieve an ip address. there can be a multitude of APNs in a network. the whole thing is quite complex, and GPRS is not really state of the art on the usability front: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS_Core_Network#Access_point I am pretty sure you can find better places to expand your knowledge about APNs. as far as development is concerned you can just accept the fact that it has to be provided user-side and code away.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter