Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: 9780Bold
My Carrier: DOCOMO

Re: What is your plan for the near future? Will you continue investing in Java for BB?

[ Edited ]

I think JAVA is powefull so we need java development. if RIM will chnage it to QNX ,our java skill will be die. i dont want this,

very sad news to all java developers

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: What is your plan for the near future? Will you continue investing in Java for BB?

Complete switch to native, been waiting for that for a long time. They are all side projects so I'm not in a rush. Maybe I'll play around with getting J2SE to run on BBX/PlayBook, but it will probably require some real work to make it run.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

JavaME is Back... ehm... it will return soon.

terrencebarr.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/revving-mobile-java-ojwc-3-1-released/#comment-1278

Developer

Its really bad news for all of us BB Java developers.

I am already working on both(blackberry and android) applications parallaly, so not an issue to me to switch entirely on Android from BB, but my first choice for development of always BB, because My First Successful application on BB, and If I got a chance to develop application for blackberry if language is c/c++ or Air, I will accept that oppertunity to learn these languages as well.

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

jitendrasharma wrote:

Its really bad news for all of us BB Java developers.

I am already working on both(blackberry and android) applications parallaly, so not an issue to me to switch entirely on Android from BB, but my first choice for development of always BB, because My First Successful application on BB, and If I got a chance to develop application for blackberry if language is c/c++ or Air, I will accept that oppertunity to learn these languages as well.

The really issue is IF you leave BB and goto Android as an example can you be as sucessful?  I do not think so because there are more competitions and 90% of the apps are already free.

Developer

We are as software developers shall always ready to learn new technonlogy. and Yes, there will be some more competion we will face if we go into android development, but I don't think here all the programmers have worked on only blackberry applications, many of the programmers here who started development from J2SE, many from J2ME, and many of us from .NET/DB. For new Programmers like me, it is good to get used to these changes early, and rely on development of concepts, technology, knowledge in terms of platform independence. 

Developer

I think WebWorks/PhoneGap is a good short and long term option, depending on what you want to accomplish. You can deploy apps on the PlayBook and BB now, and BBX when it comes out. HTML5 will also run on the same WebKit engine on the iOS and Android platforms. One downside is that you basically have to publish your app as source code, since JavaScript does not deploy in a compiled format, but JS obfuscators are available. 

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

People can try to justify it until there's smoke coming out their ears, but RIM are Fing Aholes for completely devaluing all of our past work and all the skills we spent years learning.  Before their announcement I had a resume, now I have what amounts to a 3 year gap for all it's worth, and a business I can't sell.

If they were going to do that they should have informed us a year earlier than they did.  They knew.

Developer

silver20 wrote:

People can try to justify it until there's smoke coming out their ears, but RIM are Fing Aholes for completely devaluing all of our past work and all the skills we spent years learning.  Before their announcement I had a resume, now I have what amounts to a 3 year gap for all it's worth, and a business I can't sell.

If they were going to do that they should have informed us a year earlier than they did.  They knew.

This is true, simply avoid of investing too much power in the next work you do on mobiles.

Push your work power on better platforms like iOS or Android, RIM had his time and chose to abandon his developers for obvious reason, RIM is falling but it is not correct to ask us to pay for their errors.

I know many mobile developers, also great company with great software, they are abandoning RIM waiting to see if the platform will survive in the first months.

Developers (I'm talking about developers with big software that requires big man power for porting) will wait to see, the waiting will be the loosing point of this platforms.

No apps, no success. Don't invest too much time and money on this new platforms, people lost interest in RIM products and I really doubt that they have something to compete with Apple or Google.

My software is one of the best sold on the App World, actually my sellings are fallen by 60% when comparing it with the last four years and I don't have competition that stolen my sellings.

RIM isn't attractive anymore.

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

[ Edited ]

sigh.  sales just keep going down despite updates.  for me I think this is my last month of BBOS development.