Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: What is your plan for the near future? Will you continue investing in Java for BB?

We all know how people love iOS and Android, with Microsoft "addition" RIM can't compete anymore.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/01/10/android-apps-coming-to-windows-8-with-bluestacks-app-player/

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: What is your plan for the near future? Will you continue investing in Java for BB?

sblantipodi wrote:

We all know how people love iOS and Android, with Microsoft "addition" RIM can't compete anymore.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/01/10/android-apps-coming-to-windows-8-with-bluestacks-app-player/

So are you saying we should just screw RIM like it did to us and start coding in Android because Android is going to rule the world?  Windows phone can't run iOS apps and they say only Android App Player.

Developer

smiley wrote:

sblantipodi wrote:

So are you saying we should just screw RIM like it did to us and start coding in Android because Android is going to rule the world?  Windows phone can't run iOS apps and they say only Android App Player.

No I'm saying that you should concentrate your work power on iOS/Android because other platforms now isn't remunerative and the new QNX platform will be less remunerative than this one.

Developer
My Device: Paper cup

Not sure how much longer Flash will be around, but right now it will run on all of the major mobile and desktop platforms, including new BB's. So that's my focus for the next year or two, then if Apple starts allowing HTML5 apps in their store that will probably be next.

Does any indie have time to keep up on native iOS, Android, BB, Windows Phone, Windows desktop, Macintosh? I know I don't, so it's got to be some cross-platform solution that's both game-capable and business-app capable.
Developer

If I'm going in the wrong direction here, someone please stop me before I bury myself in the wrong technology again Smiley Happy
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

That's the issue. If you do iOS, you're stuck with the horror that is Objective-C. Android is JNI (gag) or non-standard Java (which may or may not be a problem depending on use). BB is on shaky ground. Windows Phone doesn't really have anything that is portable to/from any of the other platforms. Windows desktop is up there with Windows Phone but at least has some of the best dev tools out there (IMHO). Finally Mac seems to slowly be moving in the direction of a large iPad (which in and of itself is a large iPhone).

So if you want to do games... pick your poison.

If you want to do business, stick with HTML5 or Flash.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer

rcmaniac25 wrote:
If you want to do business, stick with HTML5 or Flash.

Give us an example of a good business with HTML5 and the dying Flash.

What you don't understood is that the problem isn't in the technology, every technology is good enough to make good software, even JavaME was enough...

The problem is that people wants or prefers some platforms for incomprehensible reasons but that is business, what people want. This is the period of iOS and Android, if you are out from this market you are out from the mobile market.

I really doubt that RIM has something good to convince people to make the swap so I don't think that RIM's products will be competetive this years, but please don't mix business with your development tastes.

Developer

Please help me understand how HTML5 is a solution at this time-- how can that be monetized except for contract projects and free apps with ad revenue? Because AFAIK we can't post an HTML5 app in Apple stores yet.

Also, HTML5 is still not mature or ready is it? And you have to expose the source code? That to me is a big turn-off, if competitors can just copy the code. One nice thing about BB was that they couldn't do that.

Flash, you can compile to native-like apps so isn't that a better near-term solution? I mean I hate Adobe but if it works it works...

Shouldn't that be good enough for just about any 2-D game also?

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Was that not the question you asked? What technology should you use before you "bury" yourself? As for "business", you asked if there was a cross-platform solution that was both game-capable and business-app capable.

I mentioned HTML5 for "business" as many usually just use a tool to create the HTML making it easy, as silver said, for contract projects. I didn’t intend for my statement to be HTML5 as a business model, I meant it for business apps.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Highlighted
Developer

Your personal skill should be the biggest factor in your choice for determining what technologies you work with. You should also look at the position of your business as a factor. If you were talking to Bill Gates about this topic and an average developer, you would give two sets of advice on what move to make.

I've learned dozens of languages since I began programming at the age of 10. The only language to survive and do well in the decades since has been C. Not knowing anyone's particular situation, I think it's common sense to work with C.

Scott

PS - give up the RIM bashing. It probably won't help.