Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Which Sqlite Version?

Hi All,

I'm a little confused as to which Sqlite database to use. I saw a article here in the forum that suggest I use the Sqlite plug-in from Firefox. But when I checked the version of it, I noticed it was version 3.7.4. When I go to the Sqlite website sqlite.org, I noticed the latest version is 3.7.6.3 and the sites suggest I use this version for new development.

1. If 3.7.6.3 is the current version, how do I install it, and is there a GUI interface for it like I see for the firefox plug-in?

2. Does anyone know when the firefox plug-in will be upgraded?

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: Z10 Red
My Carrier: Free

Re: Which Sqlite Version?

Are you sure you wanted to post on the Blackberry Forum?

If really, just know that you'll have to use Blackberry compiled version of SQLite, already installed, without provided GUI
Developer

Does this help:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/SQLite-Version/m-p/733055#M139916

You can not upgrade the SQLite version installed on the BlackBerry device - it is packaged with the OS. 

Highlighted
New Developer

So, I can't create my database on my local machine and then copy it to the Blackberry?

I take it that I have to write JaveMe code using the (net.rim.device.api.database) API in order to create my database, create tables, and load data, instead of doing this on my local PC? I need to create some fixed tables of items, to perform calculations and I assumed I could create this on my local machine, and create my SQL statement as well, to make things easier before I test on the phone.

Developer

"So, I can't create my database on my local machine and then copy it to the Blackberry?"

I'm not an expert at this, but I can't see why not.  I think the version number really reflects the functionality and fixes available.  I think the underlying database is accessible regardless. 

I have copied databases to and from the phone and used the same database on my PC and phone. 

New Developer

I'll guess my question now is, How do I get these version on my pc?

BlackBerry Device Software 6.0 uses SQLite version 3.6.21. BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 uses SQLite version 3.6.16.

Matt

Developer

So just to clarify my previous answer, you do not need that version of SQLite on your PC.  Any SQLite supporting version will do.

I use this:

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/