Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Storm 9530, Curve 8330
My Carrier: AT&T, Verizon

Why does installing a simulator prevent JDE's from starting?

It's been discussed before but never resolved in a satisfactory way, that installing simulators after the JDE's prevents the JDE's from starting unless all their settings are deleted (Settings.rc).

That's not practical, to have to reconfigure several JDE's every time we install a simulator.

Is there some way we can edit the Settings.rc to fix the problem?  I'm looking at it now, and it looks fine.

What does installing a simulator change that breaks the JDE's?

Thank you

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Why does installing a simulator prevent JDE's from starting?

So ... wow .. clearly I am not the only one this happened to last week.

Tim Winsor told me via twitter that you can edit C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Device Simulators

and remove the .rc files from there, and that will prevent you from having to screw with every JDE, and just remove the rc files for sims your not using right now.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Storm 9530, Curve 8330
My Carrier: AT&T, Verizon

Re: Why does installing a simulator prevent JDE's from starting?

[ Edited ]

Thank you, that worked.  Created subdirectory and moved the rc's for the recently-installed simulators there.  Then the JDE's start and the sim can also start.

Does anyone know what we lose by moving those rc's, and why this happens to begin with?

Thank you