Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Posts: 108
Registered: ‎08-05-2008
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Wireless distribution of the application.

I tried to install my app wirelessly over the internet.  Per instructions, I set up MIME types, uploaded a JAD and a COD and attempted to install it on the BlackBerry.  Immediately I got this error:  907 invalid COD: HTTP Error 500: internal Server Error.


So I googled and found this:   http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/114958-ota-installation-server-setup-2008-non-b...


The fix suggested that I rename my .cod file into .zip, then extract the .zip file (which yielded yet 2 more .cod file), then upload the .jad and the extracted .cod files to the web server.


The suggestion worked great.  However, I am massively confused.


#1.  Why did I have to do this?  Why does JDE create a .cod file, which really a .zip file containing 2 .cod files.


#2.  Why were there 2 .cod files?  Is there a significance to this?  The application is really very simple (a clone of IPhone's "I am Rich" application).  See here:   http://www.sqleffects.com/mystuff/rich/iamberryrich.jad


#3.   Is there a way to force the JDE to generate actual files that I need to upload to the web server, without me having to go through the circus of renaming files?


#4.  Is there a way to do a command line compile that accomplishes the points outlined in #3?




Posts: 19,636
Registered: ‎07-14-2008
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Wireless distribution of the application.

1. There are a number of Threads discussing this on this forum and it is also discussed in the Developer Guide - search for Sibling on both places.  The Developer Guide says the following:

"If a BlackBerry Java Application contains more than 64 KB of bytecode or resource data, the BlackBerry IDE creates a .cod file that contains sibling .cod files."

You might find this thread summarizes the important points



2. Sorry I haven't tried the app, but I would guess that you a large amount of static content.


3. Not that I am aware off - I recode my apps so that I don't have Sibling files.


4. See 3


Hope this helps