Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Wireless distribution of the application.

I tried to install my app wirelessly over the internet.  Per instructions, I set up MIME types, uploaded a JAD and a COD and attempted to install it on the BlackBerry.  Immediately I got this error:  907 invalid COD: HTTP Error 500: internal Server Error.

So I googled and found this:   http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/114958-ota-installation-server-setup-2008-non-b...

The fix suggested that I rename my .cod file into .zip, then extract the .zip file (which yielded yet 2 more .cod file), then upload the .jad and the extracted .cod files to the web server.

The suggestion worked great.  However, I am massively confused.

#1.  Why did I have to do this?  Why does JDE create a .cod file, which really a .zip file containing 2 .cod files.

#2.  Why were there 2 .cod files?  Is there a significance to this?  The application is really very simple (a clone of IPhone's "I am Rich" application).  See here:   http://www.sqleffects.com/mystuff/rich/iamberryrich.jad

#3.   Is there a way to force the JDE to generate actual files that I need to upload to the web server, without me having to go through the circus of renaming files?

#4.  Is there a way to do a command line compile that accomplishes the points outlined in #3?

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Wireless distribution of the application.

1. There are a number of Threads discussing this on this forum and it is also discussed in the Developer Guide - search for Sibling on both places.  The Developer Guide says the following:

"If a BlackBerry Java Application contains more than 64 KB of bytecode or resource data, the BlackBerry IDE creates a .cod file that contains sibling .cod files."

You might find this thread summarizes the important points

2. Sorry I haven't tried the app, but I would guess that you a large amount of static content.

3. Not that I am aware off - I recode my apps so that I don't have Sibling files.

4. See 3

Hope this helps