Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

accessing internet from device.

Hi friends,

i developed the blackberry applicatio on JDE 4.2.

i used MDS for network connection. and istablished a HTTP connection inside application.

its running fine on simulator.

but in actual device i saw i have set APN setting for accessing network connection. and i activate gprs on my device(Airtel India).

and when i have to use  browser i activate blackberry internet services.

using APN setting i face lots of proble. like DNS not found. etc.

and lots people are not able to run my app but they set there APN setting too.

but i found that some of application run fine without using APN setting like Facebook Application.

so i have to make some changes in my app? or i have to make any another connection instead of http, so that i can access internet without APN setting??.  

plz help me.i am confused with this. can any one give me solution for this.

i wll ready for any cost.

thanks.. 

Developer

Re: accessing internet from device.

This seems to come up everyweek. Appending ";deviceside=true" to the URL seems to help but still

fails sometimes. There is speculation about RIM vs carriers in getting a reliable DNS lookup. I guess if DNS errors

are the only problem, you could do all your own name lookups from your own servers and issue requests

to IP addresses but I'm hoping there is a better approach Smiley Happy

New Developer

hi ,

actualy i appned ";deviceside=true" to url, but did not found any differnce.

but what baout my second qu. APN setting.

i.e. some app access internet without using APN setting.

i have to find out the solution for that..

plz help me..

Developer

Someone from RIM or your carrier may have to respond. Previously, an author apparently from India ( IIRC) posted

something to which I responded after using his suggestion. RIM indicated there was a problem with

this solution and deleted my, and probably his, post.

Carriers anyway don't like to explain their policies, even to paying customers. Silent failure modes related

to walled gardens  used to be quite common and my cell tower based location service magically started working

once I complained to the carrier ( again with no explanation on policy or cause). It is possible that those other

apps have agreements with the carriers that they aren't real clear about to others.

When you buy a phone and use public airwaves you would expect to at least know what features

are available but I've never had good luck with that naive notion.

Personally, my app is generally working except for the DNS errors on VZ and the one report of an "already bound"

problem IIRC on ATT which is probably a device issue.

I would of course check all the known issues before blaming carriers but don't rule this out if you have checked all the

other possibilities.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

The APN setting under Options, (Advanced Options), TCP is required when making a direct TCP connection on a GPRS network.  It is not required when making a connection through the Mobile Data Service of a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  Please see this link for more information on the connection routes available on a BlackBerry.

What Is - Different ways to make an HTTP or socket connection
Article Number: DB-00396

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Hi MSohm,

I also having the same problem.  I have tested my application in BalckBerry device it is unable to connect to the Internet after set the APN and TCP settings it is working fine.  And i installed FaceBook in same device but it is working without any APN settings.

As per you,  APN settings are not required in case of user using BES.  But if user connecting with BIS, is it possible to make HTTP connection with out APN settings (eg: FaceBook). 

If I become BlackBerry Alliance Program Member (ISV Program) is it possible to make HTTP connection (connecting internet) without APN and TCP settings?

Please give your suggestion.

Thanks and Regards

Sunil.G

Developer

Did you try looking through the service book, someone from RIM posted RIM's complete code for doing

that. I guess there are at least two issues. One is finding the right route to the internet and this involves

things like getting APN info which if available should be in the service book. The second is getting reliable

services like DNS once you manage to pick an "ISP." If you don't use 3rd party servers ( I guess like RIM does),

then you are stuck at this point. Obviously if you use someone else's servers they may want to charge.

One thing you may be able to do is proxy all of your requests through your own server.

Your app still needs some way to locate your server but after that shouldn't need much in the way

of things like DNS lookup.

Developer

Hi marchywka thanks for your reply,

As per you r suggestion, I googled for service book RIM's complete code. no luck unabel find if you know please send that link.  In one thread same issue i found, in that they suggested that become BlackBerry Alliance Program Member so that will be helpful. Please find the same in below

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=browser_dev&thread.id=769&jump=true

Developer

ok, I found it the name is bad, "network diagnostics", LOL,

[ I'm still thinking intentional confusion at least by carriers but see what you think ]

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=8992

for some reason, I forgot to put the link in my source code when I copied their code

( I usually use my source code as first place to look for useful ref links),

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Developer

Thanks marchywka.