Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

are the COD files from RAPC on .java already preverified or not?

Apologies if I'm not seeing something that is obvious to others, but it's not clear to me whether the .cod files created from running rapc on .java files are already preverified or not.  In the development guide, it says in one place:

When you build a project using the BlackBerry® Integrated Development Environment, the BlackBerry IDE compiles your source files into Java® bytecode, performs preverification, and creates a single .cod file and .jad file for a BlackBerry® device application.

and then in another place:

To reduce the amount of processing the BlackBerry® device performs when you load your BlackBerry device application, partially verify your classes. You may also use the BlackBerry® Smartphone Simulator to preverify .cod files.

At the command prompt, type:
preverify.exe [-d] output -classpath directory input; directory

I could imagine preverification making sense if the input were .class/.jar files from javac instead of rapc, but I'm a bit confused by the wording in the Development Guide and didn't see a definitive answer elsewhere.  As always, apologies if I've missed this -- RTFM pointer appreciated.

Developer
Developer

Re: are the COD files from RAPC on .java already preverified or not?

It depends on how you use rapc.  If the input is java files, then yes, rapc compiles, preverifies and produces the cod files.  If you're inputting class or jar files, then you need to do the preverify step before rapc.

Highlighted
Developer
Developer

Re: are the COD files from RAPC on .java already preverified or not?

thanks!