Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: ATT

blackberry exceptions and deviceside parameter

quick questions:

1. what is everyone doing when it comes to reporting exceptions in a blackberry application? are you logging it, emailing the error, etc? what is everyone's recommendation and what is the most efficient? i am not sure what step to take in this area and i want to make sure i take the most efficient way possible.

2.  i have noticed in some of the boards that people append the "deviceside=false" or "deviceside=true" string at the end of the url. however, i have been able to connect fine to my URLs in my application and i was just wondering if this "deviceside" was more of an option than a necessity. experts, what is your advice?

thank you and have a great day.

ac

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: blackberry exceptions and deviceside parameter

1. we have an option to report exceptions via email. Otherwise, it is very difficulat to collect problem determination data from a mobile device.

2. "deviceside" is required for certain situations. It depends strictly on the environment.

When you say " i have been able to connect fine to my URLs", are you refering to the simulator? If so, stand by for sudden aggravation when you move to real devices in the real world.

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: ATT

is there a specific class or method that i can use to send emails then (to report the exceptions)? thanks again for your help.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

You create a Message object and send it using the Transport class.

net.rim.blackberry.api.mail.Message

net.rim.blackberry.api.mail.Transport