Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 8300, 8800, 8700f, 9000

browser works when app cannot connect

hi,

there is one thing i do not understand. i'm testing my application which connects with internet (using wifi or using apn). about wifi- i turn off radio under manage connections, but wifi is on and sometimes the app connects, sometimes it can't but the browser works! how is that possible?

Developer

Re: browser works when app cannot connect

this is for the sim card which does not have BES
Developer

anyone knows why is that?
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

native application such as RIM Browser automatically connects to the internet over wifi if it is availble. So basically, it should work. with regards to your application, 

if you want your application to connect over wifi you must append "';interface=wifi" to your url explicitly. Take note that it's better to check if your device is connected to a wireless accesspoint by utilizing CoverageInfo class then if not, you may opt to connect using Direct TCP. 

Developer

i do use "interface=wifi" and sometimes when signal is good my application connects via wifi and works fine. but there are some situations when wifi signal is low-when i check under ManageConnections i can see there the name of wifi network, but next to that, except of "green tick" there is a white line. and in these situation my app cannot connect using wifi, but the browser works! and i do not understand it..
Developer

ah that means your not connected to the wireless accesspoint. that's why you cannot connect using your application. to explain why the rim browser can connect even if you are not connected to wifi because, native apps such as the rim browser, automatically switches to wifi if available, and if not, it will use gprs/edge. i suggest that you add a condition in your application where you check if the device is connected to wireless accesspoint, if yes then append the interface=wifi, and if not, then use bes or bis or direct tcp. 
Developer

yes, but the same situation happens when i switch the radio off under ManageConnections. so-the radio is off and the wifi is on, but weak with this "white line". application does not connect but browser works. You suggest that it automatically switches to edge, but how if the radio is off?? and that is what i totally do not understand..

ps.

i've got in my app conditions which will switch me to another type of connections if the previous one is failed. i just want to know how it works. how it is possible that the browser works with the radio turned off and wifi not fully connected..

regards

Developer

have you tried debugging your application? attaching the device to the debugger and see what happens when it tires to connect?