Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 9900
Accepted Solution

cod file size

What is the max cod file size allowed on a BlackBerry device?

What is the max size of resourses I can add to the res folder?

I have about 80 MB of data that I need to be part of the application. Any ideas if that is ok or not?

Developer
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

Re: cod file size

That is too much. Aim for under 6MB (at worst).

Developer

I can't. I need all the data in my application. I also need to add the application to the BlackBerry App World. Are you trying to tell me that the max cod file size must be less than 6MB???? I hope that is not true because if it is I have a major problem on my hands

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Developer

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the thread reference. I am stunned by the fact that BlackBerry Applications can only have about 8MB of resourses. Now I know why applications on the iPhone and Android are not easy to import.

My problem is I need to deploy the application to the BlackBerry App Store. Can you submit multiple libraries with the application to the BlackBerry App Store where the libraries will be installed when the user buys the application from the BlackBerry App World?

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yes you can submit multiple libraries, but I think they will all count towards the size limit since AppWorld installs all the files as one entity and not as separate applications/units.

You'll prob be better having your applications download the needed resources from a server upon first launch.
Developer

I have an idea let me know if it works.

Can you deploy a "Free" library to the BlackBerry App World.

In the case where you can then I can deploy 5+ free libraries and my paid application separately.

Can you confirm this?

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

I've never tried it, but I assume it would not work since there is no way to force the user to install the library before the application. So they would probably deny an application using this approach.
Developer

My client does not have a server and they want all the resources in the application. My client also wants the application in the BlackBerry App World. Guess my only choice is to withdraw from the contract due to a BlackBerry limitation

Developer

I do not want to keep this thread open.

The solution is that there was no solution for my issue.

Thank You all for you help and time much appreciated. Smiley Happy