Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

debugging bluetooth application

Hi All

Am new to blackberry application development. Am having a sample application which i need to debug on the actual BB phone.

when I go to debug  ->Attach to-> (USB MYBB) i get errors like net_rim_manager.debug not found, and similar such errors.

If i say "don't ask this question again", the application does'nt seem to start. Can any one please give me some inputs on this.

also do i need to download the cod file before starting the debugging? or the jde will download the cod file?

Re: debugging bluetooth application

The debug errors are expected if your device is a different level of OS to the JDE.  I believe there are ways around this, but I just struggle with it as best I can.

You do need to install the app on the device before starting this debugging.  The JDE will not install it for you.  Sorry.

My USB port is on the back of my floortop(LOL) computer so I have taken to doing everything OTA.

A debugger is obviously a nice feature and I'm big on highly instrumented environments, but in java you normally

have limited failure modes and on phones it is often helpful to make non-trivial test versions more available ( to your

co-worker on the beach who may be willing to test on his quirky phone ). So, just as  a matter of  having

a test cycle setup, the one-line build, sign, upload, and notify, script has worked quite well.

This may require that you litter your source code with extra error handlers or other code, but if you have

something like a pre-processor to allow building for multiple platforms from the same source, debug/release

settings are not difficult to add.

Just a suggestion for an addition that may not seem practical,  I'm not advocating throwing away the debugging tools.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

The warnings you mention are triggered if the BlackBerry JDE is unable to access the .debug files for the version of BlackBerry handheld software installed on your device.  You can see this by going to Options, About on the BlackBerry.

The .debug files are included with the BlackBerry Simulator installation.  You can install a BlackBerry Simulator with a matching version, select this simulator in the BlackBerry JDE and then debug on your BlackBerry.

Note that you can also receive these warnings for your application if the version of the application built in the BlackBerry JDE does not match the version installed on the BlackBerry device (.debug files in the BlackBerry JDE are for a different build of your application).

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker