Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: pelephone

device filtering

Hey,

Anyone knows if RIM has a device filtering tool based on capabilities / api / jsr support/ hardware features?

for instance i wish to get a list of all blackberry devices that have acceleromter sensor & either support jsr 256 or blackberry RIM api for accessing it.

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: device filtering

unfortunately not.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

so... how one gets to know if a device support accelerometer sensor or not?
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

On device, there are usually APIs you can use, for example

AccelerometerSensor.isSupported();

New Developer

peter_strange: i dont think you fully understand what i meant...
i wish to distribute the app so obviously i need to know before hand which device support it right?
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Yes I have misunderstood. 

If you have built an application that has specific device requirements in order to run, then you will need to provide a device list to App World to make sure it is not loaded onto phones that don't support it.  In which case I agree with Simon's comment. You are gong to have to come up with that list yourself. 

I was thinking you were trying to build the app differently for different device support.  Alternatively you could build support in for the features you want to support and then 'deactivate' this support if it is not present.  Given the proliferation of devices with various attributes, I suspect that this option is slightly easier to manage.  But this is a different scenario to what I think you are doing. 

Highlighted
New Developer

if the app can act differently then i agree with you that its possible to have it behave differently for different devices but if the app MUST have certain capability such as accelerometer then you cant act differently and you need the device list before hand.
how this wasnt an issue untill now for blackberry developers?
developer.nokia.com has a great device filtering tool for almost every different option of device.