Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

disabled components will not update via code on 4.6 and onward

Hello,

I've got a BlackBerry product that is generally by customers  on a device running 4.5 of the OS. At a certain point in the application, a screen is locked down so that no components can be updated by the user while the app is waiting for a reponse from the server process. Once a response is received, the app extracts a value from the response payload and updates one of the editable fields progammatically (but it should still not be editable by the user).

This worked on 4.5 as I said, but one of our customers has tried this on a device using 4.6 and the field is no longer updating. I'm not sure if the the fact you could update a field programmatically even when the field was not editable was originally a bug that was fixed on 4.6 or if there is another way to do this.

My current thinking on this is to momentarily mark the component as editable once a response from the server is received, update the field then disable it again. This feels really ugly and I'm wondering if there is a better way to tackle this. Any thoughts?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: disabled components will not update via code on 4.6 and onward

I don't think the Editable flag has any influence on programmatic changes, in other words, you can set do a 'setText' on Fields that are not editable. 

I would look first at a change in the communication processing that means the Field is NOT being updated because of some other error.