Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

error trying to install from jar file ota

I compiled my application and put it on my web server.  I have the MIME types for cod, jar, and jad all set up.  The problem is that when I try to install the jar file, half way through I get get an error saying "MIDlet-1" is missing.

My entry for MIDlet-1 is:

MIDlet-1: ,,

What is supposed to go here so that I can install the jar?

Developer

Re: error trying to install from jar file ota

I have seen a couple of different examples of what others have for MIDlet-1, from what I can tell is that it is first the application name, then the name of all the images that your app uses plus their extentions.  I try this and I still get an error.  I have no idea what is supposed to be put in there.  I never modified the jad file manually.  I always did everything through the jde and it seems as though I can't compile anything and have it installable OTA.
Developer

Check this Thread.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=48370&query.id=36...

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Highlighted
Developer

That thread was one of the ones confusing me, lol.  I saw that one and a couple other ones where it looked like mime types in there and/or the location of their images in that MIDlet-1 entry.  After throwing stuff for a while I finally thought about looking at Sun's website on MIDP programming and sure enough it was right there: "The MIDlet-1 attribute has three parameters: name, icon, and class."

http://developers.sun.com/mobility/midp/articles/getstart/

When I tried MyApp,,MyApp it was erroring because my main class name was not MyApp.  I was just trying to put stuff in to make it work. 

So I was able to get past that part but then was immediatly having another issue that got me equally frustrated.  This time while it was installing OTA, it would error out again this time with a 500 error.  So I had to look at my web server's log file to see why it was throwing a 500 error and it said that my blackberry was trying to access "myapp-1.cod".  I noticed an entry for "myapp-1.cod" was in my JAD file and every time I try to sign my application, it tries to sign "myapp-1.cod".  I took a chance and editied my JAD file in notepad and removed

RIM-COD-URL-1: myapp-1.cod
RIM-COD-SHA1-1: 00 00 00 ...

After doing this, my OTA installations were working finally.  My next question now however is, if I am doing everything through the JDE, isn't the JDE supposed to do all of this for me?  Why is the JDE creating incomplete JAD files when I build my project?  And why is there this "applicationName-1.cod" that gets created?  If its not needed when doing installs OTA, why is there a reference to it ever made in the JAD file?