Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

getting 5.0 IDE to attach to simulator- is it possible?

what's the trick to getting the ide to talk to or launch a new simulator? I ran the ide_update.bat in the

simulator dir but that didn't help.

Thanks.

Developer

Re: getting 5.0 IDE to attach to simulator- is it possible?

Eclipse or JDE?

Developer

JDE, lol you think I would go get another IDE? I would mention I'm still using the 500Meg system

people have made fun of, sure it is slow but I would think I could at least get a connection.

In the past when adding a new JDE, I think I've had to play with params but can't figure this one out.

Thanks.

Developer

From memory OS 5.0 is the same as any other JDE.  However the Simulators take quite a long time to load on my 4 GB dual core.  I would think you could get yourself a cup of coffee while loading one on your system.

Have you tried running them 'standalone', by executing the *.bat file in the directory?

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 5.0.0\simulator\9000.bat

Developer

Well, literally no as I converted that to a bash script and run it under cygqin but, yes, I can get the standlone

to run fine. In the past, either I had to have the IDE launchit to find it or had to NOT do that, once I get a ritual

it always seemed to work. However, I tried all the stuff that used to work- playing with preferences grepping

for options, even opened dos window and ran the ide-update bat file. No luck.

And, yes it takes forever to come up but I have 2 machines now. This debian would be great except for

lack of support- not sure RIM will work consistently ( those dll pieces LOL) and now my wireless caed

is apparently having driver problems ( I had to wrap the windoze drivers ....). So, anyway, I'll let

the laptop takes its time and do real work on linux...

I guess its possible I have some other thing on one of the ports but I would have expected someone

to complain.

Developer

Thoughts? Is it more liekly to work if I tell the IDE to launch it or start it myself and then ask IDE

to attach?

Developer

ok, I edited a bunch of things to include ports but I finally started the phone manually and it

does seem to have attached now. I may have missed this however since the phonedidn't overtly

indicate it was trying to atach. There is a small "attached" rect in middle of screen but I could

have missted this before. So, no luck getting it launch fromIDE but I can live with that.

Nos for some coffee. Luckily I stll have this debian machine which allows me to send my wisdom around the globe

while waiting Smiley Happy