Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

how to make half of screen no scrollable and other half part of screen scrollable

Hi all 

I am new in BB please help me out regarding this issue. 

Right now the problem which I am facing is how to make the left part of screen fixed. Right now I wanted to show the list of n records at the right side of screen and wanted to show three buttons at the left side of screen. when any user is going to scroll the screen to view the records I want buttons remain fixed at the left side of screen(No_Vertical_Scroll). 

Right now i am creating one HorizontalFieldManager  in which there are two verticalFieldManager so I be able to split the screen.

I have made the leftVerticalManager No_Vertical_Scroll and rightVerticalManager as VERTICAL_SCROLL  but when I scroll the screen both part started to scroll so the buttons at the left side move up not remain fixed.

thanks in advance 

Developer
My Device: Playbook

Re: how to make half of screen no scrollable and other half part of screen scrollable

Try creating a vertical field manager with two horizontal field managers.  One of the HFM should be no scroll.
New Developer

Re: how to make half of screen no scrollable and other half part of screen scrollable

Thanks for the quick reply but problem is 

if we make one vertical field manager and two horizontal field manager in this we are dealing the records in the rows like this 

----------------------------------------------                                             -------------------------------------------

|first hrm                                 |                                             |             |                           |up

|first hrm1                               |                                             |  button1| records1              |

----------------------------------------------                                             ------------------------------------------|

|second hrm                            |                        but I want       |  button2| record2               |

----------------------------------------------                                             |             |                           |

|                                            |                                             ------------------------------------------|

|                                            |                                             | button3  |  record3             |

|                                            |                                             |              |                          |down

------------------------------------------

Highlighted
Developer

I think

you may set the main screen is not scrollable first

add a verticalFieldManager with fixed height as half screen , also set to scrollable

then add a verticalFieldManger to set to scrollable

may be it should work 

New Developer

thanks eidtormax

problem solved!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9550
My Carrier: Airtel

how did you got the solution to your problem can u post the code please since i am stuck in the same issue?

Swapnil G.
New Developer

hi Swapnil Hope this will solve your issue.

first of all in constructor 

write this super(Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL); at very first line. This line will make screen non scrollable.

Now make one Horizonal manager like 

HorManager = new HorizontalFieldManager(FOCUSABLE)   this line will make the screen moveable within specified reign.

Now make two vertical field manager. one with name right screen manager and other left screen manager 

for left screen make it like 

leftScreen = new VerticalFieldManager(Manager.FIELD_VCENTER | Manager.USE_ALL_HEIGHT | Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR
| Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL

leftScreen = new VerticalFieldManager( Manager.USE_ALL_HEIGHT | Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR | Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL) 

this command will make left part of screen non scrollable

for right screen manager

rightscreen = new VerticalFieldManager(Manager.VERTICAL_SCROLL | Manager.VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR | FOCUSABLE | USE_ALL_WIDTH | USE_ALL_HEIGHT)

this will make the right screen scrollable 

this is how i solved my problem

Inshallah that will help you in your issue too.

Trusted Contributor

i am having the opposite requirments as yours is? i want the upper part as static and the lower part should only scroll. anyhow i am not able to get this? if you could provide some code would be of great help to me?

i had posted the same question in this forum and tried all the suggestions given by the devlopers but still problem remains the same?

Swapnil G.
New Developer

I have also solved this issue

for this

write super(Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL); in constructor

First make vertical field manager like

vertOrHorManager = new VerticalFieldManager(Field.FOCUSABLE) 
{
protected void paintBackground(Graphics arg0) 
{
arg0.setColor(Constants.COLOR_OPP_TITLE_ODD);
arg0.setBackgroundColor(Constants.COLOR_OPP_TITLE_ODD);
arg0.clear();
}
};

{

{

arg0.setColor(colorvalue);

arg0.setBackgroundColor(colorvalue); arg0.clear();

}

}; 

make upper screen

upperScreen = new HorizontalFieldManager(Manager.FIELD_HCENTER | Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR | Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL | Manager.USE_ALL_WIDTH) 

{

protected void sublayout(int maxWidth, int maxHeight) 

{

super.sublayout(maxWidth, maxHeight);

}

{

arg0.setColor(Color.BLACK);

arg0.setBackgroundColor(Color.BLACK);

arg0.clear();

super.paintBackground(arg0);

}

};

lowerScreen

HorizontalFieldManager hfm2 = new HorizontalFieldManager(FOCUSABLE);

lowerscreen = new VerticalFieldManager(Manager.VERTICAL_SCROLL | Manager.VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR | FOCUSABLE | USE_ALL_WIDTH | USE_ALL_HEIGHT)

{

protected void onFocus(int direction) 

{

super.onFocus(direction);

}

{

arg0.setBackgroundColor(colorvalue);

arg0.clear();

}

};

hfm2.add(lowerscreen);

vertOrHorManager.add(upperScreen );

vertOrHorManager.add(hfm2);

hope this solve your problem 

Trusted Contributor

public HalfScrollPSScreen()
	{
		super(Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL);
		this.add(new LabelField("Swapnil"));

{

{
				int colorvalue = 0x003F87;
				arg0.setBackgroundColor(colorvalue); 
//				arg0.clear();
		    }
			public void invalidate()
			{			
				super.invalidate();
			}
		}; 	 

upperScreen.add(new LabelField("swapnil"));

// Upper Part of the Screen
		upperScreen = new HorizontalFieldManager(Manager.FIELD_HCENTER | Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR | Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL | Manager.USE_ALL_WIDTH) 
		{
			{
			}

protected void paintBackground(Graphics graphics) 
			{
				super.paintBackground(graphics);
				graphics.setColor(Color.BLACK);
				graphics.setBackgroundColor(Color.BLACK);
//				graphics.clear();
			}
			public void invalidate()
			{			
				super.invalidate();
			}
			public void add(Field field)
			{			
				super.add(field);
			}
		};

//	Lower Part of the Screen		 

HorizontalFieldManager hfm2 = new HorizontalFieldManager(FOCUSABLE);
		lowerscreen = new VerticalFieldManager(Manager.VERTICAL_SCROLL | Manager.VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR | FOCUSABLE | USE_ALL_WIDTH | USE_ALL_HEIGHT)
		{
			protected void onFocus(int direction) 
			{
				super.onFocus(direction);
			}
			{
				int colorvalue = 0x003F87;
				arg0.setColor(0x003F87);
				arg0.setBackgroundColor(0x003F87);
//				arg0.clear();
			}
			{			
			}
			public void invalidate()
			{			
				super.invalidate();
			}

};
			hfm2.add(lowerscreen);
			vertOrHorManager.add(upperScreen );
			vertOrHorManager.add(hfm2);	

this.add(vertOrHorManager);	

}
	public void invalidate()
	{	
		super.invalidate();
	}

this is what every thing you have suggested didn't work for me? it is simply showing a white screen.

Swapnil G.