Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

how to package a application?

hi all

i have developed an applciation.. now i want package this application ..can anyone tell em ? how i can package ..what are all procedure after develop application to package and all...

thanks

savi

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: how to package a application?

depends on where you distribute.

i usually create a jad/cod package with the cod extracted, and an alx/cod package.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

simon said:-[depends on where you distribute].??? i did't get its mean.

how i can package these two file .jad and .cod file .....and alx/cod ??

and no need to package jar file?????

Developer

you copy them to a folder, maybe zip them together...

no, you don't need the jar file.

how about reading the developer guide?

feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

i read developer guide but in that there is no discuss about packaging, in that only about deploy.

if we create Applicaton loader file (.alx) then we can deply using Desktop software only.

really ,  iam not getting aobut packaging..pls explain me concept ,in how many way , i can distribute my application to user and which way is righ to distribut ?

pls

thanks

Developer

you can offer it OTA, read, put it on a server and the user enters the address.

you need jad/cod for this, and a webserver that has the jad/cod application types defined.

alx/cod for desktop manager, bes etc.

appworld: read their terms

most other resellers use alx/cod i think

@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Search around the forums

Highlighted
Developer

All of the above is correct for deployments and it is extensively covered in posts and documentation but to answer the question I think you were asking, there is nothing really to do to package the app prior to deployment except under certain circumstances, and the jar file is unneccessary in a deployment.

For an OTA deployment you use the jad file and the code file.  If the app is larger than a certain size (can't remember what that is) you may have to open the cod using winzip or similar and extract the cods within to use instead of the bundled single cod .  These go on the web server and the user can just click a web link in their email.

For Desktop manager and BES deployments you will use the ALX file and cod file.  If you are using the new Eclipse plugin you may need to edit the ALX file a little to make sure the install will work for your entire target audience of different ROM versions.  If you change the directory structure from how the new plugin arranges the files then you will also need to update this.  You may have multiple builds in the directory structure if you used preprocessing.

With the old dev plugin for Eclipse I thinkit was slightly more work to get the correct files but I can't recall off the top of my head what else needed to be done.  Manually signing the files using was off course necessary if you used any restricted functionality (which you probably did).  In the new dev plugin it is far simpler, you can just right click the project directory and choose BlackBerry/Package Projects (and they will get signed usually automatically).  All the deployment files are now in the deliverables project directory.  You will want to only use the necessary files though because the deliverables directory has a lot of files that are unneccessary for the deployment.

I can't emphasize enough how useful it is to get to know the possibilities available in a BES deployment if you learn to edit the ALX files.  Maybe it was only me and everyone else knew this but once I figured this out my deployments got so much simpler.

Good luck

Developer

Thanks yyzTim , you told me in very good way

thanks