Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Galaxy S II
My Carrier: Meteor (Ireland)

icon sizes

I've rendered icons for my application (in both standard and 'soft glow' for the rollover!) in the following sizes: 

• 28x28
  • 32x32
  • 36x36
  • 48x36
  • 53x48
  • 60x55
  • 73x73
  • 80x80

Simple question: does that cover it? (At least until the next device comes out...)

Developer

Re: icon sizes

Bump!

(Note to self: never post a question late of a Friday evening...)

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

this article covers the icon sizes:
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800505/800608/...

theory aside: i would create different application builds to target different models, at least the new models should get its own version.
i would use only a single icon set and, when needed, scale the icons (using the EncodedImage methods). as long as you scale them to a divisor they should look fine (for example 96x96 to 48x48).

icons take up a lot of space and can make applications clumsy and expensive to download (if on a limited plan 1MB can be like a 5th of your volume for a month).

i usually use 48x48 icons for everything but the newest (bold etc) handsets, they tend to look good.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Highlighted
Developer

Thanks - I'd seen that link before and was just wondering if it was definitive.

Tbh, I don't know if it's such a big deal to include all the icons in the one build. The total for my 8 different sizes in regular and rollover variations is just 44 KB. The problem I have with on-the-fly scaling is that something like EncodedImage.scaleImage32() will favour speed over quality and doesn't allow you to control the interpolation used. You'll get much better results as a rule by Gimping it offline.