Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Bell

insight into Counter/timing API

I have run into a "bug" where my running app tracks my runs for only 24hours then resets, I lose my tracked run for the previous 24 hours and my timer starts from zero again.

what could be the issue and can I have the timer go for as long as I want (ie 90 hours)?

Thanks

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: insight into Counter/timing API

I have not heard of anything specific that will cause processing to only run for 24 hours and then break.

I think you are going to have to give us more detail about the failing process.

New Contributor

So I have this app that tracks my runs, via GPS etc, when the APP hits the 24 hour mark it resets to 00:00 and then I lose my previous 24 hours of running that it was tracking.

I suspect this has to do with the timer format that is coded in the app, I am the end user and at this point have a HUGE race that this app is supposed to track next week (The Worlds Toughest Mudder)

The race is 24hours but I will be starting the app atleast 1 hour before the race and have no idea when I will be able to stop it after the race.

So the problem also here is that when I lose the entire session, my tracking stops as well.

I am trying to help the folks who own the app work this out but I am not a BB developer so I have no access to the API manual to look into what could be causing the issue, I suspect it has something to do with the timer format.

http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2012/11/case-study-tough-mudder/

I have less than 8 days to get this fixed or I have to go with another app

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Cool!  Is that you in the blog too!  Good luck!

I am downloading the free version to see if there is anything obvious in the app that looks like it might be causing the problem.

In your position as an end user, I doubt there is anything you can do, other than contact the supplier and see if you can get them to look at the issue.  I am sure we here would all be happy to help.

Let us know if you get any further. 

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i would suggest that you point the actual developers of the application here, without knowledge about the used code we are not able to help.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah my actual site is www.neallhards.com I ended up on crackberry last week as well and other media venues.

As for contacting the developers, I am in constant contact with them they are one of my sponsors for the race but they are lacking in BB developers right now, so I am trying to help run down some idea's for them, I am more of a SQL writer with some lite C/JAVA development, my impression (from my SQL world) is that is might be how the date/time format is set.

Like I said if you let it run for more than 24 hours you will see it reset and begin counting again from 00:00 and you will lose the previous 24 hours worth of data.

just to give you a use case scenario I started the test (I have a special battery back the size of a BOLD that gives me 40h of continuous use) @ 10am  everything was running fine into the morning, then when 6am hit the timer reset to 00:00 and began counting again and I lost the data from the previous time.

I though as a work around I could just start the app at 10am when the race begins but then if I dont stop the app right at 10am the following morning I am pooched, also if I cross the finish line at 9:59 I can still run one more lap which could put me running the race for 26 hours, so I dont see a work around other than figuring this out and hopefully either myself or the app team can figure it out by next week and get it tested.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

there is no system-side reason i am aware of for that, my guess would be that it is an issue when saving the data, whereever and however that happens.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter