Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

launch settings screen from within my app to config Notifications behavior

Hi.

I have an app that uses the NotificationsManager.registerSource() to register an event that later can be triggered.

This is the relevant fragment:

NotificationsManager.registerSource(MY_LONG_MESSAGE_ID,
                                                    notif_event, NotificationsConstants.IMPORTANT);

public static final Object notif_event = new Object() {
            public String toString() {
                return Resources.getString(MY_DESCRIPTION_STRING);
            }
        };

This is great for a one-stop way to do a "standard" notify, but users are having a hard time finding the place to configure what the notify does, which is in Settings Folder -> Options -> Profiles(Ring tones) . Every other event on the system is there to be configured too, which is nice.  But it would be great if we could launch that screen directly from our internal settings screen.

(This is on a Blackberry Bold running system software 4.6.)

It's also a particularly poor-documented part of the API. The description of the second arg to registerSource is just

"source - Source application object." One of the developers guides showed me how to use toString() to generate the line that shows up in the Options screen. But are there other things we can do with this object? Why is this just a generic object?

Anyway, my main question is : can I launch a particular blackberry system settings screen directly from my app?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: launch settings screen from within my app to config Notifications behavior

The answer still seems to be "no." Some of the issues are covered in this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Invoke-Profiles/m-p/20044#M200

That includes the following code fragment, which was also recommended by RIM at the devcon, on how to launch the profiles app which at least pops the profile list onto the screen:

String moduleName = "net_rim_bb_profiles_app";
int moduleHandle = CodeModuleManager.getModuleHandle(moduleName);
ApplicationDescriptor[] ads = CodeModuleManager.getApplicationDescriptors(moduleHandle);
ApplicationManager appmanager = ApplicationManager.getApplicationManager();

try {
            appmanager.runApplication(ads[0]);

So there's that, but it's still pretty confusing for the user.

New Developer
My Device: blackberry bold
My Carrier: s/w developer

Re: launch settings screen from within my app to config Notifications behavior

Hi , I m also  working on notification app ,, can u  tell me how can I  show alert after my  app is  closed

like alarm

thanx