Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

migrating pre-os6 apps to os6

will pre-os6 apps be downloadable/functional on os6 (new 9870)?   if migration is needed, is there a guide/kit available?

Developer

Re: migrating pre-os6 apps to os6

I'm sure there are a few gotchas, but in my experience, there is no migration required. 

I have apps compiled on OS 4.2 that work fine on non touchscreen OS 6.0 devices, like the 9780.  .

If you create an app in OS 4.7 (which has the API to detect Touchscreen), then it will actually work fine on OS 6.0 devices.

The issue comes when you want to use some of the later OS facilities (like Universal Search) but have the same code base run on earlier devices.  That needs careful design and multiple builds. 

New Contributor

great, thanks

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

peter_strange wrote:

If you create an app in OS 4.7 (which has the API to detect Touchscreen), then it will actually work fine on OS 6.0 devices.

just to add to this, you can detect touch devices using 4.2 code as well:

touchDevice = new Canvas() { protected void paint(Graphics graphics) { }}.hasPointerEvents();

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor

thanks again. I'm having some issues with emebedded  graphics not displaying in my rebuilt version using the 6.0 components and the new helios eclipse/bb plug-ins and wondered  if I was running into a general issue.   I guess not, and will need to dig a bit more.    I will like to use some of the new 6.0 features like pan/zoom image files but managing that across device builds is a separate concern as ypu mention.