Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Canada

net_rim_bb_trust_application_manager -- uncaught exception

Hi,

Last Friday my phone was upgraded while installing the application I am developing via the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Now, whenever I install my application into my Torch 9800 via the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, I get the following exception:

Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_trust_application_manager (316) is not responding: process terminated.

This issue does not occur when my application is installed via Eclipse debuffing.  How do I prevent this uncaught exception from occurring? 

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: net_rim_bb_trust_application_manager -- uncaught exception

Does your application have an autostart alternate entry?

Contributor

My application does not have an autostart alternate entry, unless they can be made implicitly, as I did not know that an application could have an autostart alternate entry.
Developer

Sorry I will ask the question another way, have you specified autostart for your application?

Contributor

Correct, the application descriptor specifies autostart, but I did not explicitly specify an alternate entry.  I had thought that the main function would be invoked by autostart and my observations appeared to confirm this belief.

Developer

I suggest you remove this.  autostart will start when the device restarts, and there are some special issues with this:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Write-safe-initialization-code/ta-p/444795

This is an alternate entry:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Set-up-an-alternate-entry-point-for-an-appli...

You will typically either want you app to start on start-up ( usually a background app), or on icon (GUI app).  Occasionally you will have both requirements in the one application, and alternate entry comes in handy then. 

Anyway, I suspect in your autostart processing you have something that holds the Event Thread.  This runs, preventing the trust_application_manager (which is probably trying to display a 'do you trust this application' message), from gaining access to the UI.  In reality the problem is being caused by your processing, the trust manager is just the fall guy. 

It is not happening when you debug because all timing stuff goes out the window in that circumstance. 

Here is more on the Event Thread.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/What-is-the-Event-Thread/ta-p/446865

Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.

There definately is something that is preventing the 'do you trust this application' message from appearing, but only when installed via the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. That is to say that everything works fine when I reboot the device -- the 'do you trust this application' message appears during reboot.

I really think the latest BlackBerry update introduced something that causes this. Perhaps it is the Desktop Manager's USB connection with the device that is interfering with the 'do you trust this application' sequence from working correctly with an application that is set to autostart?

Regardless, I will review the information provided and see if the application can be tweaked to work better.

My application must autostart with the device -- it does not have a user interface.  However, thank you very much for pointing out my design flaw and its correction, re: Write safe initialization code