Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

"WIFI Portal Application for Blackberry Help Getting Started!!

I came across the xbmc as a really interesting platform for development. I am a Bsc Computer Science student at Kingston University.
I am currently on an industrial placement at the moment working for a charity called Media Trust. I am working as an IT Support Assistant. I will be starting my final year at university in September.
As part of my final year I have to do a dissertation which forms a double module project.

I have thought about an idea of developing an application for a blackberry. This application should act as a portal with File Transfer Protocol capability allowing users to view content such as music, pictures, documents, videos. It should also allow them to upload and download content from the blackberry. Users should be able to stream content remotely on their blackberry without losing connection to the stream. They should be able to add and remove folders, music, videos, documents, pictures as well. This should be a simple GUI interface where the blackberry application links to a remote location for this data e.g a website server or program like the xbmc on windows desktop.

Each user should have their own login and password for the application service. There could possibly be a security breach so this may need some work.
It should be designed to work with 3G, GPRS, GPS, WAP and possibly 4G as well which is not out there at the moment.
When I analysed the XBMC program on Windows and Plex on Mac I was very enthusiastic about the technology behind the program. I have researched into various interfaces such as fring and pogoplug, and I found useful features with all programs. Would you be able to suggest any technologies or platforms based on the xbmc program and remote application I have seen on the iPhone to implement this application and get it to work. As it is my final year project I am prepared to work hard and produce a great project and thought the xbmc technology could work with the application I am trying to create.

I look forwared to hearing a response from you and possibly embark on a project which will be beneficial to yourselves (RIM) as well as my final year project.

Deepan Patel
IT Intern
deepanp@mediatrust.org
Deeps_90@hotmail.com

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: "WIFI Portal Application for Blackberry Help Getting Started!!

welcome to the support forums.

personally i have no experience with xbmc, but it sure sounds like an interesting concept. maybe you can search for some of the related keywords, but i don't think i have seen something alike on the boards yet.

many basic technologies used on the blackberry can be studied in the developer guides or browsing through the samples shipping with the jde/ejde.

a final advise in reply to your last sentence:

this forum is a user-to-user board, RIM is only hosting the platform. Sometimes an admin (MSohm) answers questions officially, but most of the time you have to rely on the board members (feel free to contribute here if you find something useful or know the answer to a question).

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: "WIFI Portal Application for Blackberry Help Getting Started!!

What would you recommend doing to make this idea work? I need some help to get this working and I woudn't mind working with other devleopers to make sure this application works. WIFI portal for streaming/downloading pictures,videos, music. There would be some key differences in using this as a server/hub running on a PC - which communicates via standard file transfer protocols, and one that will also run native on Blackberry. It will be very useful to hear feedback from an RIM developer or admin person as well.

have thought about an idea of developing an application for a blackberry. This application should act as a portal with File Transfer Protocol capability allowing users to view content such as music, pictures, documents, videos. It should also allow them to upload and download content from the blackberry. Users should be able to stream content remotely on their blackberry without losing connection to the stream. They should be able to add and remove folders, music, videos, documents, pictures as well. This should be a simple GUI interface where the blackberry application links to a remote location for this data e.g a website server or program like the xbmc on windows desktop.

Each user should have their own login and password for the application service. There could possibly be a security breach so this may need some work.
It should be designed to work with 3G, GPRS, GPS, WAP and possibly 4G as well which is not out there at the moment.
I have researched into various interfaces such as fring and pogoplug, and I found useful features with all programs. Would you be able to suggest any technologies or platforms to implement this application and get it to work. As it is my final year project I am prepared to work hard and produce a great project and could work with the application I am trying to create. I am welcome to hear any useful suggestions to make this work as it is an interesting idea for my final year project.