Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

simulator speed problem solved thanks to rim developers

[ Edited ]

Dear RIM-Developers!

The Big Problem, the waiting time, when I change my code and restart the simulator is solved. I installed the latest Eclipse-Plugin and use now the "new code hot swap feature". It is described here.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2010/04/new-code-hot-swap-feature/#more-1315

Beside that in the simulator I turned off the Graphics Acceleration:

View -> Graphics Acceleration -> Off

I can't describe how my development process is speeded up by that.

When I have the simulator in debug mode running I change my code and I click on "debug" inside Eclipse. Reattaching takes only 10 seconds.

My environment:

notebook with intel core 2 duo processor; 4 Giga RAM; windows 7; latest java jdk; blackberry eclipse-plugin 1.1.2.201003212304-12

Great, amazing, Big Thanks from Austria!

anil

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: simulator speed problem solved thanks to rim developers

Thanks Anil!  Glad that this feature is helping you to be more productive.  That is a big focus for us in our tools.

Best regards.

Ken Wallis - Senior Product Manager, WebWorks and Android Runtime
@ken_wallis
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

I have upgraded to the latest plugin today to take advantage of the hot-swap feature, but I am having trouble getting it to work.

Here are my steps:

1. I have my debugger running in Eclipse and I am steppiung through code that is being displayed on my simulator.

2. I make a code change in a class method.

3. ??? - then what? If I press the Eclipse debug button again, I still get the error "A Blackberry debugging session is already active. Only one Blackberry debugging session can be active at one time."

I know when debugging in regular Eclipse projects, when I make a code change there is no need for any user interface action - the cursor just jumps back to the top of the method.

What am I doing wrong here?

Note: I just upgraded my Eclipse Plug In - I did not upgrade my simulators - are the latest simulators required to do the hot swapping?

Thanks.

Dave

Developer
My Device: Playbook

On average this saves me about 1-2 minutes per rebuild.

It doesn't work everytime (class changes, etc) but it works enough for small changes to make it very useful.

Very nice feature.

Hi Dave.  Hotswap only works on the latest 5.0 simulators unfortunately.  Are you using a 5.0 SDK, and if so, which version?

Also, as dnepr points out, there are some scenarios where a reset of the simulator is still required even where hotswap is supported.  We have done our best to minimize these scenarios, but they do exist.

@ken_wallis
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Yes, I am doing 5.0 development. I wasn't sure if my simulators needed to be upgraded as well. I have 2.1.3.0.108 and I am primarily testing with the 9700.

If I need to upgrade, then that is fine. If I am doing something wrong in my debugging steps, let me know what it is, please Smiley Happy

Even if it only works part of the time, that will be huge! (The benefit of lowered expectations... {grin})

Thanks in advance.

Dave

The simulators that are packaged with the latest 5.0 SDK support hotswap.  And the steps you outlined are correct, you just need to hit debug again after the code change.

Can you please try importing the HelloWorld sample, debug it, make a small visible change (say to the title) and debug again and see if you see the change without the simulator resetting?  If that doesn't work, then I think your install may not be the right versions.

Thanks!

@ken_wallis