Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Simulator

sqlite support?

Has anyone looked into getting sqlite onto the BlackBerry platform?  I am no database expert (so I don't know about its merit), but I see a few open source projects are already adopting it (Mozilla for one and two other "open" mobile platform Android and Symbian.)

Just for those who are not familar with sqlite, it is "a in-process library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL database engine"  (whatever that means.)  And the entire source code is in public domain (so not anything like GNU or Apache licence) available in C, so I don't really see a reason not to adopt it to make cross platform developers' life easier (as least for simple applications). http://www.sqlite.org/about.html

And yes, I am aware of existing solution providers for database (as mentioned here http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=1268&query.id=56038 ).  I guess they might not be too happy if there's a free build in db in blackberry?

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: sqlite support?

In my experience SQLite (I have used it a lot in C++ projects) is really great for small, local databases except when needing concurrent access from multiple threads or processes, it has some major problems in that department. I think getting this to work on Blackberry devices, though, would mean porting it from C to J2ME which, from looking at the SQLite source, would probably not be a fun task.
Developer

katrinaniolet wrote:
...would mean porting it from C to J2ME which, from looking at the SQLite source, would probably not be a fun task.

That's probably true if it's up us lowly developer... :-)  But I would have guessed that RIM can do it relatively easily.  I know the API is exposed to developers in Java, but it's hard to believe that RIM doesn't use C or C++ to optimize the backend.

Highlighted
New Developer

Your best option for SQL on the BlackBerry is to use UltraLiteJ, part of SQL Anywhere version 11. See the SQL Anywhere for BlackBerry datasheet. It's a free download for development purposes.
New Developer

I read something about sqlite support announced at the Blackberry DevCon just recently.  Will this be released as a separate library jar that we can use in our blackberry apps? or be a part of the next version api?  I really really hope it's not the latter.  When will this be available?  Any info would great.  Thanks.

Please hurry and bring sqlite support to Blackberry.

Developer

Can someone post any example of a realistic legitimate application for a handheld device with <1mbps of IO, a few meg;s of ram, no disk, difficult user IO, for a real database that you couldn't do better with a few indicies and a random access file or hash table?

New Developer

Yes.SQLite will be available in the next release
New Developer

Could you please clarify what you mean by next release? 4.8?  Thanks.

The only semi official reporting of this comes from one line: 

"The company is developing an API called SQLite to make more advanced links into corporate or Web databases." 

http://www.eetimes.com/rss/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211600037&cid=RSSfeed_eetimes_newsRSS 

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000

It was stated pretty clearly in a futures session that the next iteration of the software platform there will be a fairly complete implementation of the SQLite RDBMS included. I believe they said it would be a native code implementation and not a port to Java.

This was actually demonstrated at the conference at one of the sessions. 

beren erchamion
Developer

Not everyone is lucky enough to attend the developer conference.  I for one can't afford to fly down.  I just check the website again and it seems like the conference proceeding is locked from non-attendees.  I understand that they need to create value for those who pay to attend but this is not helpful (no matter how clearly they stated it at the conference.)