Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

/store/home/user and Mass Storage Mode

I've been chasing a problem for months where my Bold users are complaining that backup and synchronization always fails with my app.  Only after actually getting a physical Bold for myself did I realize that the user's home directory is now exposed to the desktop via mass storage mode and therefore not available to the device when USB attached.  So if the user stores app data in their home directory the app won't be able to get at it for backup and sync.

Does this bother anyone else bseides me?  

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: /store/home/user and Mass Storage Mode

Normally backup should be done on a different storage/device (usually desktop computer) to prevent data losses when blackberry is damaged or stolen. If a user has all of its backups on the same device it makes the backup idea meaningless. If user has lost his blackberry he has lost all of his backups in this case.

Developer
Developer

[ Edited ]

I'm not quite sure I understand your comment.  I'm attempting to back up data that is stored in the user's home directory on the device (/store/home/user) to the desktop.   It seems though that /store/home/user is exposed to the desktop via Mass Storage Mode just like the SDCard when connected via USB.  When that happens, the device loses access to /store/home/user and can't access the data to back it up.

Message Edited by gtj on 01-02-2009 09:28 AM
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

If mass storage mode is ON the media card is not accessible from the device when USB cable connected.

Try to turn the Mass Storage - Off when you're doing the backup.

Developer
Developer

Yes, that's what I've instructed my users to do.  

Maybe I should have made my original point a little clearer...   I was expecting that the user's home directory, which is NOT on the SDCard, to always be accessible to the device.  I was NOT expecting it to be subject to Mass Storage Mode.