Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

store series of audio files

hi, i'm developing an app where i wanted to add a series of audio files.  my current prototype doesn't load in the simulator as soon as i add more than two .mp3's.  i've swapped the actual mp3s in and out of the project's /bin folder so it appears related to the overall project size.

my question is:  what is the most efficient way to store and play audio files?  i'm targeting 9800 models for my end user base.  would the best option be to have the sound files as a seperate file system install, where my code would then have to point to a constant file location?  would that restrict the model of phones that i could target if i look at more than just 9800 models?

any tips are greatly welcomed!

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: store series of audio files

The best way to store mp3 files is on file system located on media card. I do not recommend store mp3 files in the file system located in device memory. Because in situations when there is internal memory volume shortage BlackBerry device goes mad and works unstable.

If you wish to distribute mp3 files along with your application I see two ways.

The first: Distribute mp3 files in an archive to be downloaded and extracted to the media card of the connected device (via usb).

The second: download all necessary files by your installed application and install them to the sdcard.

The second way will be more expensive for your customers. You may implement both ways and let a customer select, which one approach would he/she prefer. Do not forget to notice user about extra charges in case customer selects wireless mp3 files installation.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: store series of audio files

I haven't been able to determine how I add the folder containing mp3s to be part of my app submission.  If my app is dependent upon a series of mp3s but are not kept in the /bin or /res folders then how do I submit them to App World when I submit my app and it's .cod?

Thanks