Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

trouble setting up the Blackberry JDE and the JDE plug-in with eclipse

[ Edited ]

Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong here? I just downloaded the blackberry JDE, tried running a helloworld sample app that came with the IDE but it keeps displaying error in building.

Next i tried using the blackberry plug-in with eclipse. I downloaded the eclipse IDE, installed the plugin on the same folder as the eclipse IDE, and then when i click on the blackberry icon on the eclipse toolbar, it asks me for a sigature key...sure there must be something i'm doing wrong.

i've tried some of the materials and videos on the site but still can't find my way through...

Would be happy if anyone could take me through the steps. Thanks!

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: trouble setting up the Blackberry JDE and the JDE plug-in with eclipse

if you could specify the errors you get we could eventually help you.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

The most common issue is failing to add the JDK/bin directory to your system PATH variable. 

This results in the JDE being unable to execute the java compiler (javac).

Open a command window and try to execute javac - if it errors out then make sure your PATH is set up properly.

Developer

I posted detailed instructions for installing the eclipse plug-in and simulators here.

That was for eclipse 3.4.1 (or 3.4.2) and plug-in version 1.0.  I can't say if they work for eclipse 3.5.1 or plug-in 1.1; haven't installed them yet.  I also haven't installed JDE 5.0.  The jump from JDE 4.7 to 5.0 is pretty big, and the plug-in going from 1.0 to 1.1 is a giant leap.

What versions are you trying to install, and on what platform?  Also, what error messages do you get?

New Developer

Forr the eclipse plugin, i tried using your method - I installed the eclipse 3.4.1, installed the JDE1.0.0.67_With_CP4.5.0.16.zip and then eclipse was restarted. The blackberry icon is displayed on the tool bar but when i click it, the drop down list shows 'install signature keys...' I can also see 'Request signatures' and 'Manage blackberry workspace' but it seems i won't be able to click either of them until i do somethin about the 'install signature keys'. when i click that, i'm supposed to browse and select some signature files which should be in csi format...but i dont have any signature file of such. For the blackberry JDE, I installed the blackberry JDE 4.3 newly and tried running a sample app that came with it. This is what is displayed: Building activetextfieldsdemo ... I/O Error: Cannot run program "javac": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified Error while building project
New Developer

Forr the eclipse plugin, I installed the eclipse 3.4.1, then i installed the JDE1.0.0.67_With_CP4.5.0.16.zip and then eclipse was restarted. The blackberry icon is now displayed on the tool bar but when i click it, the drop down list shows 'install signature keys...' I can also see 'Request signatures' and 'Manage blackberry workspace' but it seems i won't be able to click either of them until i do somethin about the 'install signature keys'. when i click that, i'm supposed to browse and select some signature files which should be in csi format...but i dont have any signature file of such. For the blackberry JDE, I installed the blackberry JDE 4.3 newly and tried running a sample app that came with it. This is what is displayed: Building activetextfieldsdemo ... I/O Error: Cannot run program "javac": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified Error while building project
New Developer

For the blackberry JDE, I installed the blackberry JDE 4.3 newly and tried running a sample app that came with it. This is what is displayed: Building activetextfieldsdemo ... I/O Error: Cannot run program "javac": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified Error while building project Perhaps you're right. can you please tell me how to set up the PATH?
Developer

[ Edited ]

Windows START menu

Control Panel

System

Advanced

Environment Variables

System Variables

Locate the variable named "PATH"

You need to add the location of your javac - this is in the /bin directory where you installed the JDK.

Something like:

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_16\bin

Developer

Rex007 wrote:
shows 'install signature keys...' I can also see 'Request signatures' and 'Manage blackberry workspace' but it seems i won't be able to click either of them until i do somethin about the 'install signature keys'.

No, don't worry about the "Install Signature Keys..." That won't matter until you want to run on a real device.  The "Configure BlackBerry Workspace" is grayed out until you have a BlackBerry workspace to configure.  Yeah, a little odd, but that's the way it works.

For that you have to either import an existing BB workspace file (.jdw) or an existing BB project file (.jdp), or else build a new BB project from scratch. You build a new BB project with File-> New-> Project, that pops up a New Project dialog, then select BlackBerry-> BlackBerry Project and run the new project wizard.  But you probably just want to import the demo project you're trying to build.

Highlighted
New Developer

Thanks...finally!  Smiley Happy