Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

why developing BlackBerry Java APPs ? --> the answer:

are you also tired about all the media declaring doom and gloom for RIM at every corner ?

...and articles from anonymous 'Insiders' ?

FWIW: I spent some time to blog about this:

'a letter from the outer space: why developing apps for BlackBerry ?'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: why developing BlackBerry Java APPs ? --> the answer:

Great blog post. I don't really have anything negative about it, you hit all the points I can think of (at the current state of sleep deprivation I have ). RIM definitly will have a tough time ahead but they are improving in many areas. Just like you said, they aren't without their flaws such as advertising the PlayBook as "it can play Flash".

I continue to develop for the BlackBerry because

1. I dislike Apple (I know you use/like Apple so it's my own opinion)
  2. Though "some" of the tech behind Android is good, I despise making a GUI on it ("it has a GUI builder, it must be great"... not).
  3. WP7, I just don't see enough of. I used Windows Phones back when it's newest version was "Pocket PC 2002" (based on Wikipedia) and wrote a ray-tracing application for it. But I just don't see enough people out there with a WP7 to be able to figure out what to make for it.
  4. I'm a C# guy, Java is the closest thing to C# for me so I go to that (Objective-C looks like c***, Andorid Java breaks too many Java components, WP7 being the exception in the C# field)
  5. The whole dev community. Go to an Android dev: "dude, you didn't implement the [latest OS release] features!? What have you been developing for all this time?" iPhone dev: "It just works... well that doesn't. No that doesn't work either. No it can't do that. It only had to get a new Macbook Pro to program for it" WP7 dev: *crickets*. Here: Take a look at this. Here's some code. Have you looked at the KB article on it? [Bring in MSohm] Can you provide example code... I've sent it to the dev team." Where can you get that kind of reaction out of a dev. (Note: those responses are real responses I've gotten from devs in close if not exactly the same form, crickets included [couldn't find a WP7 dev].)

There are other things but I think I did a badly enough formed post that I don't need to add more to it.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.